AA Skimmer Comparison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
A recent poll showed almost 90% of the Saltware & Reef posters use a portein skimmer of one type or another. Even with that, skimmer comparisons are few and far between with little evidence of how effective one type is over another. Most people go through skimmers until they find one that works, then they stick with it and reccomend it. We are constantly discussing "What skimmer should I get?" So, I am thinking we could start something going to compare skimmer output performance.

Each post should have this information in it:

-pic of the skimmate (important!)
-how long it took you to get the skimmate in the picture
-skimmer type
-tank size and bio load (nothing fancy)

I will post up my information and a pic once I get one. Any thoughts on this? If we get some pics and information up in this thread, i can be a very valuable resource to the forum.

Other factors that affect skimmer performance include.

Frequency of feeding and what type of food
Type and amount of trace elements added
List any additional items added to water.

You know I truly believe it's hit or miss with these things... I originally paid over $100 for a seaclone and it sucked.... since then I've bought an acrylic tank with a built in wet/dry and it came with a very simple skimmer and powerhead to keep it going... this one has worked very well....

Just my 2 cents......

rem0.jpg

-About 5 days of skimmate collection, 3 month old tank. This was right after the skimmer broke in, so this is some of the first skimmate from the tank.
-Excalibur HV1 skimmer
-15G tank, all invert clean up crew at the time
-Fed flake and some frozen about once a week
-Nothing added to the water, just Tropic Marin or IO salt mix

I have a Remora in use right now, I will post that up when I find my digital camera.

Skimmers can be hit or miss, but I really think that people can get a good idea of what would work for them if this thread gets a lot of responses.

remskim.jpg

-Just under a week of skimmate collection
-AquaC Remora w/MJ12000 pump
-15G nano, two small fish with inverts
-Tank is fed frozen food daily, occasional flake food
-Zero water additives

two days of skimming with my seaclone 100. (made some mods to it)
I was feeding flakes for the tang Yesterday.
Pellets today.
No Chemicals or aditives used.
See profile for bio load.

Attachments

• imag0060.jpg
    imag0060.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 156
I agree with grimlock...there needs to be a stick with comparisions. I personal would have liked this before buyin and I am hoping I chose a good one.
I think a comparision from the cheapest POS all the way up to the most expensive and then people can post on their personal experiences...for example some people have wrote that the seaclone is good but others have told me it sucks and no worth the money. I can help with some research if needed :)

well i woulden't buy a seaclone anymore, it is producing lots of skimate but releases bubbles into the tank and I can't seem to control it.

AquaC Remora with Maxi-Jet 1200

I am using a AquaC Remora with a Maxi-Jet 1200 on my 55. I have 2 nemos, yellow tang and 25 lbs. of LR. I feed every other day Flake and frozen shrimps once a week. My tank is 1 1/2 months old but I have been getting very good results with the Remora. I just placed the skimer on the tank 1 week ago and have already started to get good skim. I have been slowly adjusting the collection cup up till I get a darker green skim. The first 4 days of skimming I didn't get much skim. But now I think the skimmer has broken in. Here is a Pic

Attachments

• dsc00591.jpg
    dsc00591.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 144
Back
Top Bottom