about to buy some LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian0515

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm deciding between the Vega or the Hydra. There is so much I like about each.
One of the biggest differences is the Vega has 20 channels, one for each light, and the Hydra has 7 channels.
What does this mean exactly? Will effects be better on the Vega because of it or will the Hydra be just a good?
Do I really need 20 channels?

Here's my specs

Currently running a 6 bulb t5
Want a led unit that offers good color spectrum, blending, good coral growth (mainly LPS w/ a few SPS), good dawn to dusk effects as well as nice thunderstorm/cloud effects.
Have an 18" deep 40breeder and will be going to a 120-180 in about 12 months but will go for length rather than depth.
I doubt if I will ever be able to construct a power puck to my liking and when than time every gets here I will probably need new LEDs anyway.
With all that being said, does it seem like the hydras are the way to go or would I be stupid not to spend the extra 100ea and get the vega.

the Radions are great and they were being highly considered. The value to cost swayed me to the AI as well as a lot of reviews and opinions about malfunctions and quirkiness of Radions.
I'm excited about the director controls when it arrives but it seems to be elusive right now. AI said they're shooting for late summer.
I was also told the Vegas are beginning to be shipped with the frosted lens much like the hydra which is designed to benefit color blending for better uniformity as one of the biggest cons I've read on the Vegas is the disco ball effect from the red and green.

I have, and even seen them in person from a local enthusiast. In fact, seeing those is what got me ready to switch.
My LFS didn't seem to impressed w/ them and I don't think there was an agenda there, as they told me to look online for a good deal on the lights I liked best after they gave me their opinions.
The reviews I saw on the Tao was that they weren't well constructed to last, lacked features and noisy...
Do you own these, whats your opinion?

I own two reef breeders similar to taos. They are great love them!! 2 year USA warranty, never heard the fans well built, dimmable and corals love them. There is no special effects. Whatever you go with don't under estimate there power they will fry your corals acclimate slowly. You will be very happy with LEDs. Check out reef breeders web page.

I have, and even seen them in person from a local enthusiast. In fact, seeing those is what got me ready to switch.
My LFS didn't seem to impressed w/ them and I don't think there was an agenda there, as they told me to look online for a good deal on the lights I liked best after they gave me their opinions.
The reviews I saw on the Tao was that they weren't well constructed to last, lacked features and noisy...
Do you own these, whats your opinion?

I have something very similar, i suspect by the same factory.

Theres a LED thread were alot of people who have them have by them have said they're thoughts, i like my similar leds.

I just ordered my taotronics LEDs fixtures. I have read that they are loud. But lately everyone is recommending them. They seem to have great reviews!! And they can grow sps corals on the sand bed.. Mine shoud be at my door today! :)

Kessels to me are nice.. But for the price. It's just too much. 400 per light and for a 150g you would need 4 or more.. I bought 3 Tao fixtures for under 600 and every inch of my tank would be covered

Back
Top Bottom