AbsoluteFaye's Mantis Tank Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbsoluteFaye

Aquarium Advice Addict
Finally I got a suitable tank for my mantis. After buying a tank with problems and no room for a sump, instead of racking my brain on how the tank could possibly be used for saltwater, I went out and bought a new tank. Haha. So what I'm working with is a Solana 34g AIO glass tank with wood stand. I have a modified skimmer, ATO, and will probably add a small PH soon. For lighting a have Current USA orbit LEDs. I'm using dry Pukani dry rock so it's curing right now. I'm curing it in the tank since the tank was used I figured that stuff would die off as well while curing. Here is my setup.

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums...1-432F-4163-A73F-86CDCBDFED23_zps2e2z7o3m.jpg

Anyone have any advice as to curing in the tank? I plan on removing all rocks and water and then putting the rocks back with new water and then start the cycle with a table shrimp after it cures. I have way more rock in there than I am using because hubby is going to steal some for his new refugium after it cures.

Just wanted some thoughts as to what to expect with this method and if I'm doing anything wrong PLEASE bring it to my attention. Thanks for reading!

You reinforcing the bottom? I think the curing should be fine like that, maybe add a ph but that's all I can think of

Not reinforcing. I'm doing a 2-3" sand bed with a PVC tunnel. If he gonna be punching anything it's not gonna be the bottom of the tank. I hope anyway.

Update on the tank. I'm being VERY patient with this tank. A few days after the start of curing the pukani rock, my phosphates were at 0.81 eeeeekk!!! I added an extra phos-reactor I had lying around and some cheato and a few days after that it was at 0.12. (I'm using the Hannah checker so I know it's pretty accurate). Soooo I'm going to scrub a bit of the rock this weekend, wherever it looks really gross, then do a 100% water change and add my table shrimp to finally start the cycle! I'm going to cycle with the lights on a timer just to make sure I'm not going to get huge algae spikes or anything. (Besides diatoms). If anyone has any other suggestions for me or thinks I'm doing anything wrong PLEASE feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a good plan to me :) Have you decided what type of mantis your going to get?

Ya my lfs has a 2.5"-3" peacock that's already colored up since blue and red for only $50. Wish I had an extra 30 cycled :( Faye if your in the Chicago area I'll let you know where

Well, started the cycle today. That's a shrimp in a stocking on a veggie clip. I put some rocks in, going to put done with zoas or palys after the cycle so there will be more rock work. Got the 3" PVC in as well. Looks ugly now but will look ok after a bit when it colors up with coralline. I also have some free floating cheato now until I can get pretty dragons breath or something similar. Let me know what you all think or if anyone has suggestions.

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums...6-62DF-422B-964A-142A11F1C4A0_zpsab4xr9ac.jpg

Trying to program my LEDs. Suggestions as to what percentage they should be at? I know mantis shrimp can't have too much light or they get sick. I have orbit marine LEDs.

I don't know I had my light on about 5hrs full power I had fluorescent lights. I had fish in my tank but he was always hanging under my liverock I never thought about it.

Trying to program my LEDs. Suggestions as to what percentage they should be at? I know mantis shrimp can't have too much light or they get sick. I have orbit marine LEDs.

Are you doing any coral or just the macros? And I think the light thing is a myth, they prefer the dark but I don't think the light harms them.

I read that too much light can harm their shells and make them ill. But I plan in keeping corals. Probably just palys and zoas though.

Back
Top Bottom