Acan on the sand or rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have all of my acans placed on the sand bed. Now that my calcium, ALK, and mag levels are in line they all look great. But do acans grow over sand? Or do they need rocks to really spread out? I like having them on the sand and the ball look when they grow..but will they eventually not have anymore room to spread? I of course only want them to grow and be healthy. Just curious if I should move them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It doesn't matter. They will grow regardless as they build their calcium based skeleton. As long as they have the right amount of light they will grow.

Awesome. I wasn't sure if they needed something to grow along like a rock of frag plug. Each one has been growing new heads so I just wanted to prepare if I had to

Coral grow better though when attached to something, acans are no exception. I have acans on the sand and glued to rock. The ones glued to rock grow much faster than my sandbed ones.

Ok just to be clear. When we say acans on the sand are they still attached to a frag plug? But just placed in the sand? Or the acans just straight up in the sand? Just yesterday my Acan fell off the plug when I was moving it. I decided to use the frag plug for 2 broken pieces of pocillopora. So now my Acan is just in the sand not on a piece of rock or plug.

Quick update. I've noticed a drastic improvement in this Acan frag after moving it from bare sand to just Acan on rock. It was doing well in the sand when it was on a plug. Then did terrible off the plug in the sand. Now it's doing very well on the rocks on no plug.

Back
Top Bottom