Acanthastrea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlseith

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone explain to me why Acanthastrea costs so much!? From what I have read so far I cant find a good reason for it to be so expensive. Its very hardy, grows well, doesn't come from deep water or exclusively from protected waters. It seems like if you were to get your hands on one colorful frag you could grow it out and pay for ALL your future aquarium needs and then some.

The reason I ask is because I would like to get some but don't want to get in over my head without knowing all the facts...

Thanks,
Karl

Actually you are correct i dont know why its expensive, frags sell for alot and i have been thinking of getting some myself. I know that its a harder frag to harvest, i think i heard that somewhere. Rare is the key word i guess. For the $ i dont know if its worth it though....Lords are cool but if you end up killing it its not so cool anymore...LOL

I am in the process now of talking a friend into splitting the cost of a small colony so we can frag it. The problem is the only reason I want it is because the price makes me curious, not because of how it looks.

the only reason I want it is because the price makes me curious, not because of how it looks.
And that is what allows them to remain so expensive! Personally, I think Acans are allot of "hype". Don't get me wrong, some are beautiful but so are many other corals/clams. JMHO

I heard they are very similar to a candycane or what some people call a bullseye coral. They will multiply by 2 every month or so.....Just what i heard but if they do you could make some good $$ selling the frags.

Back
Top Bottom