acclamating tank to new light bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darron863

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just got new bulbs in and i am going to install tonight but was wondering if i should turn lights back on timer because of the lights on the tank being old and not as intense as the new ones

You should state it's 260W PC lighting and the type of corals you have (elegant, mushrooms, xenia, and orange sun polyp) for better answers in the future. Or just fill out your "myinfo" button in your profile.

Usually if just replacing bulbs and not upgrading lighting you only need to reduce your normal lighting schedule by a couple of hours for 2-3 days.

You can just cut back the photoperiod and slowly increase it back to normal over a week or two. The safest method is to combine that with the screen method. Place a layer of screen, ie. nylon srceening for doors, on top of the tank while increasing the photoperiod. After the lights are back on your regular schedule for a few days, remove the screen.

thank you i will update my info you all are the best i really appreciate all your answers because you explain your answers thoroughly

Good question to have asked.....many people don't even think about acclimating their tank to lighting changes!!! Gold stars for you!

Back
Top Bottom