Acclimating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For SW fish/inverts I would always drip acclimate everything. What I do is float the bag for about 20-30 mins to temp acclimate and then put them in a container and drip them for about an hour or so depending on what salinity they're coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Drip 100%! Many stores keep their salinity really low and if you have a reef chances are your alk/ph is way higher. If you don't slowly raise the ph the fish can go into shock. I drip every fish and invert just to ease them in. Since dripping I've never had a new fish go into hiding, when I floated I'd loose a fish now and again due to the shock.

Is there a preferred method between the drip method and the floating bag method?

The 2 methods serve 2 purposes so you should do both.
By floating the bag, you are allowing the temperature of the water in the bag to get to the temperature of the tank. This will go a long way in preventing stress related diseases such as Ick and Oodinium.
Dripping water slowly into the bucket with the fish will help the fish adjust gradually to the differences between what they were in to what they are going in to. Too rapid a change can cause the fish to come down with stress related diseases. (It's important that the air temperature in the room is not very different from the tank temp as this will cause the water in the bucket to change temps during acclimation defeating the purpose of floating the bags and can cause higher stress on the fish when put into the tank.)

So in an ideal world, it's best to do both. (y)

The 2 methods serve 2 purposes so you should do both.

By floating the bag, you are allowing the temperature of the water in the bag to get to the temperature of the tank. This will go a long way in preventing stress related diseases such as Ick and Oodinium.

Dripping water slowly into the bucket with the fish will help the fish adjust gradually to the differences between what they were in to what they are going in to. Too rapid a change can cause the fish to come down with stress related diseases. (It's important that the air temperature in the room is not very different from the tank temp as this will cause the water in the bucket to change temps during acclimation defeating the purpose of floating the bags and can cause higher stress on the fish when put into the tank.)

So in an ideal world, it's best to do both. (y)

Thank you for the great response. Lots of useful information in there. I did both and my 2 clowns are doing great

Back
Top Bottom