acclimating fals percula clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thisanthrope

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive had this little clown for about a week. its about 1.5" still a baby. its in a 10 gal nano with a few mushrooms, GSP, yellow polyps, and some buttons. ever since I got the fish it only stays at the top of the tank happily swimming. even at night its up by the PH waddling around. Ive never seen him go down to check out the corals. I was hoping it would host with one of the mushrooms or others. Is it just too juvenile and full of energy to chill out in one spot?

Both of my clowns are the same way...i have only seen them swim to the bottom area of the tank a few times, they both sleep in the middle of the tank behind one of my fluval tubes, using the bracket from the suction cup as a "bed". They always seem to be at the top or mid level of the tank. I have never seen them swim around my LR at all.

Very common behavour for most clowns. Once they "claim" or feel comfortable in a certain area of the tank, they will seldom stray far from that area unless they find something better.

Cheers
Steve

I've found clowns to be even more sedentary when first introduced to a tank. They hardly move at all, even less so than normal. It can last for a week or so. After that they'll probably explore the tank some more and find a spot they like.

Is the clown a tank raised fish or wild? I have a pair of tank raised false perc's and they are constantly on the move...they tend to stay around mid depth most of the day...but are constantly zooming around the tank...nevermind when I try to view them...They see me coming from a mile away and BEG to be fed. I have to say, IMHO, tank raised fish are great.

its tank raised. still at the top.

I dont want to sound like a bad fish owner but I did the first water change with the fish in the tank. I am still new at this so when trying to match the same salinity I still dont have a system of how much salt to use for water changes. the salinity I keep is at 25. after the water change the salinity was only 23. I was told to wait awhile before checking so the salt will have time to mix. after about 30 min the fish looked distressed and was swimming sideways up by the PH. I checked salinity and it only came to 23 so I quickly adjusted it to match 25. the fish quickly recovered but it scared me. him to I imagine. is there a fail safe way to match salinity better during water changes? I have to do this every week. 8O

Matching the temp when mixing new saltwater for changes is going to help get a much more accurate reading. You should also be ensuring there is a good ph match as well. Try not to change more than about 10-15% weekly and it will allow for less impact on the system itself.

Cheers
Steve

thisanthrope said:
its tank raised. still at the top.

I dont want to sound like a bad fish owner but I did the first water change with the fish in the tank. I am still new at this so when trying to match the same salinity I still dont have a system of how much salt to use for water changes. the salinity I keep is at 25. after the water change the salinity was only 23. I was told to wait awhile before checking so the salt will have time to mix. after about 30 min the fish looked distressed and was swimming sideways up by the PH. I checked salinity and it only came to 23 so I quickly adjusted it to match 25. the fish quickly recovered but it scared me. him to I imagine. is there a fail safe way to match salinity better during water changes? I have to do this every week. 8O

did you mix the salt 24 hr in advance in a seperate container? it sounds like you added the salt to the tank which would def be a big problem.

ofcourse I didnt pour salt into the tank. :eek: but I mixed it only a few hours before. I will now mix it the day before.
thanks

sorry did not mean to insult and as for the hours before don't tell anyone but i have done that myself on occasion :oops:

Heck, I'll admit it, i actually added salt directly to my tank one time before i knew any better. I got really lucky and had no negative results. whew!! :?

Back
Top Bottom