acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoodFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the acclimation time(just startin..what a way to start off with a dumb question lol)

TIA though..

Depends on what you're acclimating.

For fish, typically 1 hour + depending on the hardiness of the fish

For shrimp, 2 hours due to the fact that they are very sensitive to parameter changes

For starfish and anemones, up to 3 hours. These are very sensitive and need to be acclimated very slowly.

HTH

tripper

To get the animals used to the difference in ph, salinity, and temp. Difference in the water they are in and the water they will be in. Keeps them from going into shock and dying and it is very important in sw animals. So don't rush it.

how do I do the process of acclimation..what do i use... a quarintine tank?? or what...

thanks for all of the help

what should i use as a hose from my tank to the 5 gal bucket?? also how does the knot get tied?? :? I'm sorta confused...
Thanks for teh help,
Ant

Drip acclimation is putting the animal, with the water he came in, in a bucket. Then you can either set up a drip line from your tank, or pour a cup of water from the tank into the bucket every 15 minutes or so. When the time is up, you can put him and the water back in the bag and float it in the tank to get it up to temperature for 15 minutes then scoop him out and put it in the tank(not the water though). If the water in the bucket is already at the same temperature as your tank you can just scoop him out and put him in the tank without floating the bag.

The other method, and I would only do this with fish, is to float the bag in the tank, adding a small amount of tank water to the bag every 15 minutes. If it gets too full pour some out in the sink and keep adding incrementally from the tank. When you're done scoop him out and put him in the tank.

Make sure you never let the water he came in get into your tank, that's why the bucket is better. You will end up with whatever parasite or disease or chemicals that were in their tanks in your tank. Don't forget to qt if at all possible to prevent sickness in your main tank.

tie the single knot in the line and tighten it up till you get the drip rate you want. Use airline tubing like you use for air bubblers and ugf's.

oh okay... the first reccomeded thing you posted....do I float the bag before i put it in the bucket?? or after the time of accumilation is up??

Back
Top Bottom