Achilles Tang ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you more afraid of QT or Ich? Pick your poison. I would think you're going to see ich on this guy. But then again maybe he'll think he was set free! If I didn't have time to QT (and train the fish to eat) then I would probably hold off for now. *sigh*. So difficult!!

Not QTing is not a option. I will probably get him if I see it eat. Unless someone beats me to it.

Honestly I would hold off and get a different tang instead. There are several tangs that are just as attrative as an Achllies but not nearly as hard to keep. I, like you, wanted one and a friend of mine tore down his 200 gallon and gave me his old one. They first off dont ship well at all. They stress very easily and often wont start eating, in addition to that it seems as though other fish can sense thier nervousness and pick on them worsening the stress. In addition to that these are fish that inhabit the surge zone of hawaiian reefs and these zones, that contain numberous bombardments of indirect flow are almost impossible to re-create in the aquarium.

To re-create a surge zone you would possibly risk killing everything in your tank. A friend of mine who manages a fish store has a 500 gallon tank that once housed an achllies tang. The tang, even though the tank was huge, never got used to captive life and ended up ramming into the glass one day killing itself. After keeping one and seeing thier captive state, and researching this fish rather in depth I think you would be better off with something else even in that large of a tank. If you like large tangs look for a Red Sea Sailfin Tang. These are marvelous fish that get large and have incredible markings.

large tangs look for a Red Sea Sailfin Tang
I had one. Woke up one morning and he was stuck to my intake. He lived for two days after that and was never seen again.

Brenden said:
I will probably get him if I see it eat. Unless someone beats me to it.

Call em up and ask them to hold it for you. Tell them you would like to come in and see it eat before you buy it and as long as it looks healthy and is eating you'll take it. if you've been there often enough (with that tank i'm sure you have!) then they'll probably be willing to work with you on it.

I just called but my "buddy" (you know the one that takes my money) was with a customer. The girl on the phone said she did not think it had ate anything yet but I am surprised she found her way to work if you know what I mean. QT is ready and waiting.

lando: My QT tanks are 30 gallon. Once it gets to the main I think it will be fine. I am scared of QT.
That is okay. I was talking of someone making the 38 it's regular home. This is a fragile fish and as such really needs to be QT, IMO.

I just called but my "buddy" (you know the one that takes my money) was with a customer. The girl on the phone said she did not think it had ate anything yet
Also make sure the LFS it trying various foods with the tang. All too often htey feed all of the fish some cheap flake food to keep costs down.

macman7010 said:
I, like you, wanted one and a friend of mine tore down his 200 gallon and gave me his old one.

In my opinion, the two scenarios are hardly comparable. The tank you put the achilles in was no where near acceptable in size and if I am remembering correctly, was overcrowded. This fish, if put in Brian and Melissa's tank, would have a much better shot from the very beginning.

IMO, a beautiful fish, but the survival rate is so poor I wouldnt risk it. I definately think it will be fine in your tank, but I dont think it'll make it there..! If your after a beautiful large tang I'd go SOHAL!

Back
Top Bottom