Activated carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on what your using it for...it will remove yellowing agents for about 4 weeks, but will not remove too much else after a few days to a week of use. I replace carbon once per week.

Does the carbon take out any of the beneficial things in a reef system? I thouhgt it would strip things like Iodine and the like.

I use it to remove organic waste, yellowing agents and the chemicals produced by some of my corals in their bid to be the supreme ruler of the tank.

Although all carbon based products will leach PO4 to a certain degree, the one I prefer is Chemi-pure. I use it in my 27 and 90 and have liked the the results. Clearer water, stable chemistry and it like other carbons gives me a sense of ease when smokers are around. One of the reason I prefer the use of these kinds of products 24/7, they help remove airborne pollutants fairly quickly.

Cheers
Steve

I'm with Steve on a few of these points. In addition, running Carbon 24/7 while not really neccessary, it's sort of like us being able to live in a house with free floating polutants - yeah we can live there but not very well :)

I differ on my choice though. I use Seachem's Matrix Carbon - they have the best claims anyway and they are a very reliable mfg and do test their products very thouroughly and I also like the spherical approach to filter media - it definately provides hugh surface areas and excellent waterflow. In fact when I rinse my Purigen (same basic shape as Matrix carbon) it's wild to watch. As soon as the water hits the filter bag containing the macro-pellets it expands to twice its size absorbing the water like crazy yet not impacting its flow through the media.

http://www.seachem.com/seachemframeset.html

I have run tanks for long periods of time w/o any Carbon - but I typically do not do this anymore. Why - Cuz many checmical pollutants that could enter the water in a variety of ways may not kill your reluctant charges but may make them a bit less healthy and Carbon is a good way of riding the water of these provided you use it deligently.

Just my thoughts on this.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom