Added new light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparkchaser

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just installed an Aqualight retro, it is 260 watts 10K at Act. I previously only had a 40 watt single tube 10 K light. What precautions should I take with this light? I don't have any corals, just fish and live rock. I know when going to MH's you need to allow time for the tank to adjust to the brighter light, should I do the same, or just run them?

Thanks.

By the way, this light is awesome compared to what I had. Great light

Wow, you have a lot of fish. I wouldn't worry, the brighter light may make the fish skittish at first but I don't think you need to do any special acclimation. With corals the photosynthetic cells need time to adjust to the brighter light.

e there is nothing in your tank that will be burned by a sudden increase in light...I think you should still acclimate the tank slowly, or you might experience a serious algae bloom.

What if one would be getting an algae bloom from a sudden increase in lighting, say adding 32 watts to 56 watts (which may have been upgraded from 24 without any transition only a couple of weeks earlier)?

What is a proper transition? What should one do now?

Most of what i have read says about that.. Just make sure you take your time acclimating to the new light.. Start slow as 2 hours the first day or less.. then increase 30 mins per day after....

I agree with reefrunner. Algae bloom is your big concern with that type of lighting.

Back
Top Bottom