Added sump on estab. tank-now diatom algae? help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slithersnfins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
Im back again needing more of your appreciated expertise....
just added a sump alittle over a week ago(finally)via overflow. I was told it should not make my tank "cycle" all over again. was also told to keep the fluval filter running for about a few weeks and then wean it off slowly to allow the sump to establish more. well, the sump has miracle mud,a lg peice of LR, 1 cup of the established tanks LS and caulerpa in it- light running day and night(i was told to leave it on 24 hrs?) so now into week 2- my main tank has started getting that rusty-brown color all over the sand...deja-vu. also seeing it in the sump sand.
anyway, is this diatom algae?(doesnt look like red slime- its not on my rocks only the sand and I do recall what both looks like from the beginning days of my estab. tank) I believe it to be(diatom) and will put some phosphate sponge in a netted sack here shortly but what i need to know is my refug causing my tank to re"cycle"? Is it supposed to make it cycle? Anyway, will this cause me to lose my soft corals, polyps, and stony corals? Ive also noticed a slight increase in my nitrates(.5) before I did a 10% water change. I do know that the nitrate/ nitrites can build up in the canister filters and make them appear in the tank- but i was told I was supposed to leave it on until the sump was established(cycle) alittle more....am I suppose to wean the filter off or should I just take it off? I noticed my skimmer isnt doing much of anything ither- not skimming so that tells me theres not much to skim? and my DSB and LR are doing their job?! Anyone agree?? Any advise here would greatly help!
PLEASE??

Im back again needing more of your appreciated expertise....

:?: Im confused. Did you have a differnt username before? Your listed as only having 1 post and that would be the one im replying to.

I would not say that your tank is recycling simply because of what appears at the outset to be possible diatoms. Now if your getting ammonia readings then you should have a little more concern.

Where did this miracle mud and live rock that now in teh sump come from? Did it come direcly out of your tank or was it from another source? If its from another source how long was it out of the water?

The canister filter might contain nitrates but it should not contain nor produce nitrite at all.

What is in the tank as far as bio load? How big a tank is it. how much LR and LS is in the tank now?

maybe it was another forum? anyway, my nitrates are the only thing to be showing a rise- no ammonia or nitrites, thats why i dont think it is recycling but the question about the mud. the sump is new- we had the miracle mud in a package(new-hasnt been in water yet) that came with the sump- so I would think maybe the sump was trying to cycle or establish itself but i was told this shouldnt affect my tank?
Sump- bioballs, fitler sponge off established whisper filter(sitting in with bioballs to help seed it, miracle mud, 1 cup of estab. tank sand, 1 lg piece of LR, handful of caulerpa.
29 gal Tank-5" LS, 50-55lbs LR, sea clone skimmer, maxi-jet powerhead, overflow box for sump, fluval canister(which we were going to wean off?) 1 serpent star, 1 emerald crab, 1 pincushion urchin, 1 cleaner wrasse, 1 maroon clown, 1 blue tang(all small fish right now- which will be put in my 60 gal when its up and running shortly) several narssarius snails, turbos, blue legged & zebra hermits, the rest are corals(6 corals, 2 shrooms) and i only feed 1 time a day sometimes every other day.

Back
Top Bottom