Added Tang 4 Days ago, doing great can I add 2 clowns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heerism

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gallon with 1 Tang and 5 damsels. The tang is about 4 days old and appears in much better condition then on arrival. I want to add 2 clowns to my tank now, how long should I wait or is now Ok?

I would advise getting rid of some of those damsels. 8 fish in a 40 gal tank is to many even if they are small because the fish will grow and the bioload will be to great for a 40 gal setup.

Dont add anything till your tanks testing negitive for ammonia and nitrite. If your still getting positive readings for either then hold off.

I agree...ditch the damsels. If you decide to add clownfish make sure they are a mated pair from the LFS or you could run into problems. If you are unsure I would only add one. What type of tang is in there and how big is it? Tangs really do require a bigger tank then you have to be healthy long-term. Many may disagree with me, but I say, if it is small right now leave it in your tank and enjoy. Just know that there will come a time when you will have to get a bigger tank or take it back to LFS. Also, since it's habbitate a bit cramped, make sure you watch for signs of ick. I would also start soaking food in garlic extreme...it boosts the immune system and can help ward off ick. Hope this helps! Lando

Back
Top Bottom