Adding a cuttlefish bone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jammiesammie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

So after going down to the beach today I found 3 cuttlebones, one huge, one medium and a tiny one! I've read these can be good for snails in the tank, so was thinking of adding one into my nano reef 13.5g.

Would I need to boil them or soak them in RO before adding them into the tank at all??

Thanks in advance!

Even with those precautions I still wouldn't trust anything that washes up on a beach going into any tank I owned...especially a small one that doesn't have the large water column to dilute any issue that could come from it. Beaches are like skimmers in nature, that's what sea foam is. So whatever you see on beaches is where the gunk nature wants out goes, this includes any oils, gases, or whatever kind of pollutants could come along with that. I wouldn't want to try to vaporize those into the air either.

I agree with Sniperhank . Just get a cuttle bone from local fish store in the bird dept and break it into pieces and put it in tank .

Those Cuttlefish gave their life because of something... probably bad.

Cool you found them though (but sad they died from something).

The plain not flavored or treated Cuttle bones will float, sometimes for a long time but just put the soft side down so the snails can get at it easily and it can soak in the water.

When it sinks just tuck it behind a rock or something.

Back
Top Bottom