Adding a new fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CluelessInNY

Aquarium Advice Activist
20 gallon
5-month old tank
Percula clown added first, then Yellow Watchman Goby, and lastly a Firefish.

I realize I am crowding my tank a bit, but the goby and the firefish do nothing but hide in a cave in my tank and rarely come out at all. In fact, I can go entire days whre I don't see the firefish. I am confessing that adding another fish is strictly for the purpose of being able to enjoy SEEING the fish in my tank.
What are your thoughts on adding a single blue-green chromi to the tank? Do they like to dart into caves? I am seeking a fish with a temperament more like the clown...curious, swims around all day. Will the clown have trouble with the new tank buddy?

often times a pistol shrimp and a goby will pair up. that maybe something you can try to lure the goby out of hiding without adding to large of a bioload to your tank

i am not sure about the shrimp attacking your snails, i dont think it would bother with the snails though. and as for the fire fish the pistol shrimp is friendly towards other tank mates. also i believe the firefish is a type of goby, correct me if i am wrong, so they should get along well. you could even consider getting another firefish since they get along well with there own species.

If I`m not mistaken the Pistol cant see to great. That`s why the goby has to stay nearby so the shrimp can keep their antenae on it and feel protected. Never had a pair but that`s the way I`ve heard it anyway.

If you are looking for a fish that is out and about, skip the shrimp goby. I rarely see mine, as he hangs out in the pistol's cave.

Hmmm, I like the idea of the pistol, but if it causes the goby to hang even more around the cave, I am not interested.
It's a shame I bought such a small set up. I would simply add more fish, but I think I am at the limit of the tank's capacity.

you could look into getting a different shrimp such as a blood or another invert, they wouldnt increase the bioload on your tank and may still provide your tank with something more to look at

You aren't at your limit, but gradual experience will aid in understanding how your miniature ecosystem will react to changes made. Why not add another clown (same specie) and try pairing them up and/or cardinal fish. Candinals tend to hover about, but fun little fish :)

Can you trade your goby or firefish at the lfs for something that will be out more? A bi-color blenny comes to mind as a fish with personality that is always about.

Back
Top Bottom