Adding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flynnternet

Aquarium Advice Regular
A few questions:

First, how should I transfer a fish from the QT to the mail tank? Drip acclimation? Water scooping method in a bag or specemin container? The pH, salinity, and temp are all very similar in both my tanks.

Second, how soon after adding my first fish can I add a second? I figure while I have the QT set up and cycled, why not get another fish in there once I move my clown out. There would end up being 3-4 weeks between adding fish to my display.

Third, I think I'd really like some kind of blenny as my second fish. I know they can get to be about 3'', which would be half my allowable inches of fish. Any that will stay smaller? Would it be bad for me to have a pod-hunter so early in my tank's life?

Fourth, I have a lot of bubble algae that I want to get rid of, but I am nervous about adding a mithrax crab. They seem to be hard to remove if they go bad. Physically removing the bubbles would be very difficult, as they are close together and pretty small, but if it means my shrimp and fish stay safer I guess that's the route I'll have to take.

TIA for any help.

First, how should I transfer a fish from the QT to the mail tank? Drip acclimation? Water scooping method in a bag or specemin container? The pH, salinity, and temp are all very similar in both my tanks.

Personally I would drip acclimate, I would hate to see 4 weeks of quarantine down the tubes by rushing the acclimation.

Second, how soon after adding my first fish can I add a second? I figure while I have the QT set up and cycled, why not get another fish in there once I move my clown out. There would end up being 3-4 weeks between adding fish to my display.

As soon as the current resident is moved to the display tank, I would give a 3-5 day window for any issues that might still develop with that fish, then you shoud be OK to add another to quarantine. It is actually ready for a fish immediately (unless you sterilize it), but if an issue does develop with the fish you just moved, you don't want to add the fish to the q-tank together.

Third, I think I'd really like some kind of blenny as my second fish. I know they can get to be about 3'', which would be half my allowable inches of fish. Any that will stay smaller? Would it be bad for me to have a pod-hunter so early in my tank's life?

There are a couple of small shrimp gobies that could be added.

Fourth, I have a lot of bubble algae that I want to get rid of, but I am nervous about adding a mithrax crab. They seem to be hard to remove if they go bad. Physically removing the bubbles would be very difficult, as they are close together and pretty small, but if it means my shrimp and fish stay safer I guess that's the route I'll have to take.

I opt for manual removal, I use hemostats and have a piece of airline tubing siphoning them out as I go.

I had a hard time getting a knot of exactly the right tightness in my tubing to do a drip!! Any guidelines? ;)

I had a hard time getting a knot of exactly the right tightness in my tubing to do a drip!! Any guidelines?

If it drips to fast, tighten it, if too slow...loosen it ;)

If you can't get it right, bet a plastic airline valve.

Back
Top Bottom