adding fish at the same time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacheyp

Aquarium Advice Addict
can i add 2 or 3 fish at the same time if i am buying them online...i only want to pay for shipping once

It will be a new 65 g tank with a few Mushroom coral and 4 fish

You can depending on how well you cycled your tank. It is best to add one to two fish at a time with two weeks in between stocking to allow for bacteria to colonize again. if you don't know what cycling is I would strongly suggest you stop your tank build and do some research. We always want somebody to get off on the right start.

You can depending on how well you cycled your tank. It is best to add one to two fish at a time with two weeks in between stocking to allow for bacteria to colonize again. if you don't know what cycling is I would strongly suggest you stop your tank build and do some research. We always want somebody to get off on the right start.

i completely agree with this. i did about a year and a half of research before i started mine. i had a little freshwater tank so i didn't get TO bored, but since i started over a year ago, i haven't had my tank crash once, of course there has been deaths, and leaps of faith onto my carpet. but that's inevitable. its been a successful start. and patience is (in my opinion) extremely important when it comes to new equipment and gear. i have saved HUNDREDS and Hundreds of dollars waiting and finding great deals on craigslist and through my local petstore. mom and pop shops of course!!!!

You are going to want to be sure your tank is well cycled before doing so. Also, you shouldn't have to because ideally you should be using a quaruintine tank to make sure your fish don't have any diseases. If they do and you don't QT them then you just introduced them to your display tank. There are people who have gone 30 years or so without ick present in there tank becuase they quarintine the fish before introduction. If you don't now you will wish you did later. So you could add one fish at a time after they have been in a QT tank for at least 4 weeks.

I don't quarantine a thing :p. Call me a fool, but my LFS individually quarantines each fish and dips them before introducing them to their temporary tanks. Not too sure what the deal is for the non reef safe fish though. 4 years no ich, but I suppose ich in a 24 gallon isn't as catastrophic as it is in a 100, 200, 300 gallon tank so I'm not as proactive.

I generally understand cycling but could some one explain it in depth

I don't QT my LFS fish because they dipp/2 week QT before they sell, but that limits you to only getting LFS fish. I order fish online a lot because my LFS doesnt have great selection/prices ($99 for a pair of tank raised Banggai Cardinals, and a $75 Goldstripe Maroon Clownfish for example). I QT my online fish for 4 weeks minimum, if they are behaiving normally.

Back
Top Bottom