Adding live rock in established aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 10 gallon saltwater aquarium and just wanted to know if I can add live rock to a fully cycled tank that already has fish and invertebrates? I have about 7 or 8 pounds of live rock and wanted to add about 4 more pounds. Tank is fully cycled and established. Will this case an ammonia or nitrate spike?

Have a 10 gallon saltwater aquarium and just wanted to know if I can add live rock to a fully cycled tank that already has fish and invertebrates? I have about 7 or 8 pounds of live rock and wanted to add about 4 more pounds. Tank is fully cycled and established. Will this case an ammonia or nitrate spike?
It will create a mini cycle when you add it. I would just go with dry rock so you don't risk any deaths.

If you have the rock already you can "cure" it in a separate tank otherwise yeah, you may have some spikes in your parameters. After a cylce is complete its best to go with dry rock, no risk of spikes. :)

Thank you all very much. I will add some dead rock. Doesn't it take roughly 3-6 months to become a full live rock?

Thank you all very much. I will add some dead rock. Doesn't it take roughly 3-6 months to become a full live rock?
It depends what your definition of live rock is. If you mean covered in coralline algae, then yes. But if you mean just spots of micro algae, and small organisms like coepods living inside, then it takes a week or so (if you already have the organisms). The effects of its surface area for filtration takes place overnight.

Ahh that makes sense! How do you cure it?
You can just put it in one of those big plastic boxes for storing (I forget what they're called...) and keep similar water as your DT and let it cure. All it needs is adequate flow, a stable temperature, and filtration. This is what I did for the LR in my nano at least. Carey, what have you done?

You can just put it in one of those big plastic boxes for storing (I forget what they're called...) and keep similar water as your DT and let it cure. All it needs is adequate flow, a stable temperature, and filtration. This is what I did for the LR in my nano at least. Carey, what have you done?

Could i use this crappy topfin 30 power head? Its like 15$ at petsmart... I use it in my 20g and it seems like it gives off good flow. Do you ever have to do WC?

Where will you be getting the new live rock from? If you have a way to keep it in a bucket fully submerged in transit, then you can just add it to your tank and shouldn't see any spike or cycle due to a lack of die off.

I just added 70 lbs to my 75gal
I already had 65 lbs in there .
I added close to half and cured the rest in a storage tote with a power head and a old bio life filter I had .
It's the same as a cycle ,
The due off creates a ammonia spike triggering the nitrogen cycle to start .
The other half that I put in my established tank didn't effect parameters at all .
After a couple weeks and everything tested 0 I added it all and re arranged all my rocks .
I have caves , crevices and tunnels everywhere .
Perfect hiding places and circulation .
I read that the Berlin method is essentially 2x lbs of rock per gallon and using a good skimmer as a. Natural bio filter .
I still have the canister filter running but think I only need it for cleaning and polishing the water .

I've been adding more to my new tank with cured live rock from my lfs ( what they sell it as). I add one or two kg at time and had no spike, last week added 4 kg and nothing on test plus only out water for about 30 mins.

No matter what I'm sure we will get some die off going from different waters ,
But I think it's how fast our systems adjust to the different bio load and correct it

Back
Top Bottom