Adding more real reef rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minkin

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am running a 30g fowlr tank.

It has been running for about 4 months.

I started off with 20lbs of the real reef rock in there.

I now want to add more maybe 10-15lbs.

I want to know if this will cause an ammonia spike or somehow affect my tank?

I'm thinking that seen as though there is no live bacteria on the rock that it should be ok?

If you want to add regualr old dry rock then its fine. If you are talking about live rock i would be very cautious to add it to a tank with livestock as there could be die off on it that will cause a spike.

Real Reef rock is brand name for rock that is neither, real, from a reef or actually natural rock. I don't believe it comes in "live" form so you should be ok to add it after a good rinse.

Real Reef rock is brand name for rock that is neither, real, from a reef or actually natural rock. I don't believe it comes in "live" form so you should be ok to add it after a good rinse.

It doesn't come in live, but when it went from live to dead those things can still be on it...all dead...

If you go on there website it tells you about it.

I don't think that it has ever been live until it is your tank ad bacteria start to grow on it.

Here is a short paragraph about what the company says regarding bacteria etc.

'Real Reef does not harbor nuisance or parasitic algaes, inverts and unwanted hitch hikers. Wild live rock inherently is covered and impregnated with undesirable pests and decaying organic matter. In most cases wild live rock is not alive, as it died crossing the Pacific by boat.

Real Reef offers the aquarist a clean biologically active rock, which mitigates all the issues of wild live rock, including the process of waiting for the death to subside, AKA curing.'

The website is http://realreefrock.com.

So it's base rock i'd soak it in RO/DI water for a day or two then put it in the main tank

Soaking that rock in RO/DI water would kill off any active bacteria in the rock. Don't think you would want to do this as that is what you are paying for with that rock. Looks like it is basically a pre cured and cycled rock (if I read their site right). You should be fine adding it directly to your tank if their website info is accurate. I have added BRS reef saver dry rock to my tank in the past with no spikes in any water parameters (after a good rinse of coarse). If you are worried put it in slow a piece a week or so and keep the rest in a container with SW and heater and power head.

Ok thanks,

I have just found this statement on their website:

'The end result of the manufacturing and growing process is a beautiful natural three dimensional coralline colored living rock made from 100% natural materials. This wild rock alternative is eco-reef friendly, with the basic building blocks to cycle and promote a healthy modern reef aquarium. Basic necessary components such as: Nitrifying bacteria, Micro Algae’s and some Coralline Algae varieties. Real Reef Mfg. does note grow or promote any unwanted hitchhikers and undesirables that wild live rock inherently is plagued with. As a result, Real Reef requires no curing or waiting for the dying, rotting and decaying biological material normally found on wild live rock.'

So does this mean that it is cured and safe to add? Or not?

You should be fine. I would have no reservations about ad find it to my own tank. If you are wanting the coralline algae to spread to your existing live rock make sure your alkalinity and calcium are in correct range.

What will soaking it in r/o water do?

Soaking "Base" rock will tend to release any phosphates that may be in the rock I soak then test for phos. and nitrAtes.

You will NOT need to presoak that rock.

Thanks grizz,

So I can just take it home and throw it right in my tank?

Yes it's cured, place it and test the water for the next few days Better safe than sorry.

I'm going to be coming into this same question within the next couple weeks.
A friend is closing his 65 gal and I bought all his live stock mainly for the live rock .
His tank has been set up and running for 6 years .
Mine in just under a year .
All these rocks are covered in various corals mainly mushrooms .
Will this cause a ammonia spike ?

Not that my thoughts or suggestions are a 100% right but my thought is you shouldn't have any spikes if it is transported right. If any of the various corals die off you will defiantly have spikes. Any of the rock with corals you will have to acclimate to your water parameters same as the live stock. You will want to be monitoring your parameters frequently and keep a close eye on the corals too. If you can add the rock from his tank over a couple of weeks then the live stock. Sounds like you will be increasing your bio-load too. As with anything in this hobby patients has its rewards. Good luck.

Not that my thoughts or suggestions are a 100% right but my thought is you shouldn't have any spikes if it is transported right. If any of the various corals die off you will defiantly have spikes. Any of the rock with corals you will have to acclimate to your water parameters same as the live stock. You will want to be monitoring your parameters frequently and keep a close eye on the corals too. If you can add the rock from his tank over a couple of weeks then the live stock. Sounds like you will be increasing your bio-load too. As with anything in this hobby patients has its rewards. Good luck.

There is only 2 fish one blue damsel and one false clown fish ,
Adding the rocks with coral is my main concern ,

There is only 2 fish one blue damsel and one false clown fish ,
Adding the rocks with coral is my main concern ,

If you do a drip acclamation you should be fine with the coral. If it spa or lps coral keep a eye on calcium and Alk those demands will go up. When I went from my 75gal to my 120. My rock with corals I just acclimated to the new tank and put them in with no die off. Hope it goes well.

Back
Top Bottom