Adding Seashells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found some nice seashells and stones on the beach today. I intend to boil them for some time and then add them to my 10 gallon tank.

If my pH is normally 8.2, would it have a negative affect to add the shells? How high would the pH be if I add the shells? And how long should I boil them?

Bettafanatic said:
I found some nice seashells and stones on the beach today. I intend to boil them for some time and then add them to my 10 gallon tank.

If my pH is normally 8.2, would it have a negative affect to add the shells? How high would the pH be if I add the shells? And how long should I boil them?

Wont have any effect on ph. Boiling just a few mins all bacteria will die before the water even begins to roll.. just make sure they are dry before placing them.

I would scrub them in vinegar water and then boil for 20 minutes. That's what I did to some rocks I had stored outside and no problems. Then let them air dry and add.

I don't know about the pH. I don't think it would effect it much, though.

scottayy said:
I would scrub them in vinegar water and then boil for 20 minutes. That's what I did to some rocks I had stored outside and no problems. Then let them air dry and add.

I don't know about the pH. I don't think it would effect it much, though.

With rock yes because its alot more to it then a non porous shell..

Back
Top Bottom