Additives that may cause an overactive protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was told that adding something like erythromycin to my tank can cause an over-production of foam by my protein skimmer and subsequently a possible flood. Does anyone agree or disagree with this? What other additives may cause this problem?

Thanks,
Pete R.

not sure about meds. You shouldn't ever medicate the display tank anyways, as fish safe meds often aren't coral safe, or invert safe for that matter. some meds can actually kill off your bio-filter, though I know eurthyromycin is safe to FW bio-filtering bacteria.

stress coats, water conditions, slime coat enhancers...can all cause skimmers to suddenly over-produce, as they effect the surface tension, allowing bubbles to form more readily.

I know it is not ideal to add meds to the main. However, I have a large 450g tank with 380 lbs. of LR. I can not catch fish in this tank.

Does anyone else out there have a large tank like this - if so, what do you do???

I have tried to get answers and opions to this on this forum but I seem to get nowhere.

Is there another forum out there that is geared towards bigger tanks?

Thanks,
Pete R.

One more thing that will cause an overactive skimmer is MelaFix. Whoah. Learned that one the hard way :roll:

Back
Top Bottom