Advice needed for a clean sandbed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TLTGF

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've searched the forums only to find bits and pieces of advice strewn about in multiple threads.

I'm looking for some real experiences people have with multiple ways to keep the sandbed looking decent, or if you think that a "dirty" sandbed is the way to go.

In my own person experience the only thing I've had that kept the sandbed clean was a diamond goby. I only had him for a few months, but the difference was remarkable. Unfortunately, I had a Chromis die and the entrance to his home, and before I could remove it, the goby was never to be seen again.

I had a sandbed that had been following the tank for about 6 years and was and still is very full of critters. I've still heard that the sand sifting gobys lifespan isn't that good. Is this right?

I have a reef, so are sand sifting stars reef safe? Anyone have experience with them?

Finally, the standard CUC. I have (5) nassarius snails, a couple turbo's, and around 10-15 blue leg hermits, (1) scarlet hermit, and (2) large hermits.

The nassarius snails do stir up the sand in small patches sometimes, but over the past month or so, my sand is just getting a very light brown tint with patches of pinkish and greenish from the algae. Plus there are larger rock pieces about the size of BB's, and also empty, discarded shells laying around.

My tank is a 54 gallon corner reef tank. 80+ lbs of LR, 3-4" sandbed.

I feed Ocean Nutrition II flakes daily, and every 3rd day, I feed mysis, and no flakes.

Thanks for the help!

You could get more nassarius snails. The sandsifting star will eat all of you pods and BB in your sand. They also eat ALOT and usually starve. Why not get another goby? I think fighting conch are good too. I just got one today and hes pretty awsome.

I've always thought flake is high in phosphates. Maybe try more frozen less flake. What is your phosphate reading? As far as diamonds go, my buddy and I have tried them many times over and lost about 6 or 7 in total between both of our tanks. They seem to do a great job but always last only about 6 months.

I found a new goby called a tiger watchman goby. I have had him going on 8 months. He loves sinking pellets and his very healthy. He doesn't get all over the tank like my diamonds would. He is fairly confined to outside his burrow.

image-3663891748.jpg

Beautiful fish, but I'm stocked full already. My sand is looking normal today, but I did purchase (5) more nassarius snails to be delivered in the morning.

Working on switching to pellet from flake as well.

Not sure what the hint of tan was, but it didn't last. Thanks!

Conches are great for sandbed algae cleaning. They are usually exclusive to the sand & glass within reach. Mine eats about 18 hrs a day.

The tan coloring u saw is called Diatoms. Its a by product of the fish waste and food and poor circulation/sand bed stirring. (normal)

Back
Top Bottom