Advice on existing set up please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bectan01

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok salt folks, I have a 55g reef that has been running smoothly for 2 years now using the Berlin method - two powerheads at either end and a tunze skimmer (rated for 150g) I have been on holidays for a month and have had my lovely sister doing my weekly water changes and maintenance for me and everything looks the same as I left it - only my skimmer isn't working anymore. She doesn't remember when it stopped, I only have instructions to empty the cup which she didn't need to do because there was nothing in it! I have had this happen before so I thinks it's caput :( and sadly out of warranty. I have been thinking of running a sump but my dilemma is I can't afford to do this right away, having just got back from holiday with no cash. Advice on what to do from here? It would be at least 3 weeks before I could either get the skimmer fixed/replace it which I would need to do anyway or buy the necessary gear for the sump - I already have a 2ft long tank that fits under the stand so would just need plumbing, overflow and pumps. If I kept on top of water changes and testing in the meantime would the tank hold steady? Current livestock is a bennet's puffer, pair o clowns, a firefish, a gold stripe cardinal and a rainsfords goby. Surprisingly all my tests come back ok - my usual .5ppm nitrate was a little high (10ppm) but i expected that as i used an auto feeder with flake foods while i was away. Appreciate any input on where to go from here...

Yes, the tank will be fine with regular water changes. I would wait until you can get a replacement skimmer or new pump for that one and leave the "smooth running" tank just as it is.

Thank you Mr X for your advice. By smoothly running I mean its stable - these inhabitants have been with me since day one so I just needed a little assurance that they would be ok. I will continue to test regularly and keep you posted ;)

Are you familiar with the tunze? I have the 9006 model and until now have been really happy with it. I bought it new 2 years ago - you would think it has a bit more life in it?

If it's not working, it's the pump. It's the only moving part, correct? No, I'm not familiar with them but I am familiar with some of their other products and they seem to be made very well, but a bit expensive.
Have you taken the pump apart and inspected it?

Yes I have, last time this happened I let it soak over night and it came good that was about a month before I left. It was really dirty last time but no so much this time. I may investigate its repair before I purchase another - and yes, it was expensive!

If all else fails, hit it(the pump) with a hammer. I have freed up some seized up mag drives whacking them with a hammer or similar. The pump on my octopus skimmer some times doesn't restart unless a tap on it a few times with something.

Back
Top Bottom