Advice on moving a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I have a friend who is moving to Italy and I am hoping to buy his marine set up (intact) from him. I am going to build a supporting wall to support the weight of this new tank (125g) before this manover but this is the only thing slowing the proposed tank manouver up.

I have absolutely no knowledge of marine set ups but will be studying hard and no doubt posting a few stupid questions along the way so as to avoid avoidable disasters.

My question is how do I move the tank? The current owner would prefer it if I were to have a holding tank (fish only) for 3 weeks whilst the moved tank settles down before adding the fish back to their home (it is very likely that I will be doing a overhaul of the tank but I want to keep as much mature water etc as possible to speed the settling process up). The tank has a flat worm problem hence the need for an overhaul at some stage. Makes sence to do both at the same time I would have thought.

If I do this, how big does the fish only holding tank need to be? The only quarantine tanks I have are 8g and 12g which aren't likely to be big enough so I may have to buy a second hand tank for this purpose.
Do suppliers (and I'm not talking pet shops) ever agree to hold fish for you for a few weeks whilst you move home?

I believe the current inhabitants are:
shrimp
hermit crabs
brittle stars
1 yellow tang
1 purple tang
2 clown fish
2 damsel fish (I think)

I realise that a few of these fish are known to be quite territorial and if I'm not cautious fights might result in too small a tank.

Any advice or help would be greatfully received. Indeed any better or tried and tested methods are welcome. I am open to suggestions. If I need to post more info please just ask. (Moving tank approx 10 miles).

Many thanks
Liz

It would seem to me that if there is live rock and live sand, and the tank is moved with them in it, for all of 10 miles, there shouldn't be a need for the three week settling period. The bio filters and substrate and rock would need to be kept wet, but you could even move some of the tank water, and the bio-filters in it. (Sand could stay in the tank with some water on it.

I don't keep SW tanks myself, but I've successfully moved an up and going, fully cycled FW tank from home to work (fish in a styrofoam ice chest with tankwater), and had no problem. My moving distance was 13 miles.

I'm sure some of the SW folks will respond shortly. . .

Some LFSs will hold fish for you, you just have to ask around.

I own FW tanks, but I did help a friend move a 90 gallon tank with all fish from one location to another. You will need LOTS of tubs. First is...

1. Prepare some salt water for the tank about a week before. Make sure the Keep the water circulated using a powerhead. You need this in case you lose any water.
2. Capture the fish, coral, etc. and place them in their own plastic bag with the tank water. If it's too cold or too hot in your area, I would place each plastic bag with the fish, in a cooler. Wrap each of them up in a newspaper so that the bags do not turn over easy. Close the cooler. The dark will ease their stress abit.
3. You can wrap your LR with wet newspaper and place them in tubs.
4. Put all your LS in a tub with some tank water. Make sure the tank water is a few inches from the sand surface. Make sure this is secure so no water will spill.
5. If you have a wet/dry filter, put all your bioballs and media in some tank water as well to retain the bacteria. Place them in a tub as well. Make sure it's sealed.
6. Get all inverts and place them in a tub of tank water. I would not suggest a bag, since they may damage it and cause the bag to leak.
7. I would suggest saving as much water as possible.
8. Take everything apart and move everything to the new location and set it up.
9. When everything is setup, put some saved tank water in the tank and then the sand. Wait for the sand to settle, then add a little more filling the tank about half way.
10. Add the LR.
11. Now add more water until the tank is filled.
12. Wait about an hour or for the temp to set properly and any other debris to settle.
13. Float the bags as if you were acclimating the fish for the first time.
12. Then release the fish.

Make sure you plan the whole day for this. The earlier the better.

I'm not sure if I suggest housing the fish in another place, becuase you will stress the fish catching them and transporting them to the new location. They will then get stressed being released in a new environment. Then you will subject to stressing them again by capturing to bring the back to their new location. Etc. Fish can remain in their bags for about 20 hours (they do this when you order fish online). It's not going to take you 12 hours, I hope. If so, I would provide airstones in each bag and change about a cup of water from the bags, using the saved tank water.

Good luck

Many thanks for your suggestions. I too would prefer to move everything in one go but I obviously do not want to upset the current owner.

I forgot to mention :oops: . The tank is currently located upstairs. The owner doesn't remember how they got the tank upstairs when he installed it a few years ago but I can pretty much guarentee that bringing the tank down stairs is going to be a lot harder. Its a very large tank (125g) and I can only imagine what it weighs empty let alone with sand and a little water.

I may have to empty the whole tank just to move it down the stairs. Provided I keep the sand in a container with mature water etc do you think I could still move it in a single day?

Sorry - the stairs issue is quite an important thing to forget. Believe me I am never putting a tank upstairs!

Thanks again.
Liz

The stairs can be taken out of the loop by placing plyboard on the stairs and tying rope around the tank (be sure to use a good knot) and lower the tank down the setps. It will slide on the plyboard.

If you leave the sand in the tank it will easily weight 300+lbs. If you take the sand out and I advise that then it will proabbly be closer to 100lbs

Great idea with the stairs :idea: . I shall remember that one. I think we may well try to do it in one day with a lots of advanced planning and also loads of back up plans incase anything goes very wrong!

Many thanks for all your suggestions. You have all been a great help. I shall no doubt be posting some more questions nearer the time. Like what best to transport the fish in. I will of course let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks again - I love this forum you're all so helpful
Liz

Back
Top Bottom