advice on snails heh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dvoros

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in need of getting some more snails, prefferably ones who will like to clean the smooth sides of the acrylic aquarium. What does everyone use for this job? And do these snails flip themselves over, that would be an ideal snail, flips itself over and likes to clean the sides:) any suggestions?

Dave

1. Banded Trochus (Trochus sp.) are awesome snails for cleaning just about everything. I just wish I could get them here.

2. Mexican Turbos ( Turbo fluctuosa) are also good, although these are more of your typical algae grazers and don't do much for the glass.

3. Margaritas (Margarites pupillus) is another great all around snail, but I had trouble keeping them alive. They seem to like cooler waters. I don't have any left.

4. Rounding out the bottom of the list are the Astreas (Astraea tecta). They are great little snails, but they can't turn themselves over when they fall on their back. IME, this is typically not a problem as I never see them fall. I may turn one or two over once a month.

Try Apple Snails, I have them, but I dont have much algae so I cant realy tell If they do the job.

happyhillbilly said:
Try Apple Snails, I have them, but I dont have much algae so I cant realy tell If they do the job.

He's looking for SW snails..

Cerith snails also work on the glass. They are known for their sand sifting, but mine also work a lot on the glass. Also, no amount of snails are going to eliminate the need to scrape the glass pretty much weekly. They will help, but the scraping is still needed.

Back
Top Bottom