Affect of Skimmer Air on pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fozzy225

Aquarium Advice Activist
Wanted to raise the ph in my tank it's been at 7.8 even after adding buffers. I just recently ran an air line from my skimmer outside to bring in fresh air 2 days later 8.4. my question is will it go to high?

What testing kit are you using to determine your pH? What time did you check your pH? (pH swings over time and is highest in the day and lowest at night) Have you gotten another opinion? Buffers tend to be very nasty on your tank over time. Constant and quick swings in pH can reak havok on a reef system.

Very few systems "need" pH buffers. Fresh air and good surface agitation can go a long way in this hobby.

API is what I been using. And I checked my ph 2 hours after lights came on. But I will check at different times thanks. I'm hoping airline outside keeps working.

Just checked my ph lights been off for about 8 hours still 8.4 makes me a happy guy

Mr Saltwater is the man. Thanks go out to him for the airline outside.

I would suggest to stop using the buffer for a few days. Retest during different times. API test kits can also be fairly inaccurate.

Also have you checked your ALK, when you buffer your ph, it will raise your alk., 7.8-8.2 is fine, it is better to keep it stable than to have it keep lowering and raising from adding buffers.

I'm also having problems with keeping my PH stable, I've been contemplating the idea of running a line from my skimmer to outside. How do I do this? @fozzy225 thanks

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389487530.728992.jpg

Homedepot has hose bring you piece from skimmer to get a good fit. ran my line through the floor and outside. Ph has been 8.2 very happy with it.

Don't get freaked out over ph, get a ph moniter and you will realize it ranges from 7.8 to 8.3 with no ill effects, you can't get freaked out over 1 or 2 test, get a moniter and you will realize, it's part of the natural invironment,

View attachment 216228

Homedepot has hose bring you piece from skimmer to get a good fit. ran my line through the floor and outside. Ph has been 8.2 very happy with it.

I have a protein skimmer just like that. One hole is plugged and the other is open. I thought it was supposed to be this way... Where are the air hoses leading to? I never understood the purpose.

Thanks @Fozzy225
Hopefully this will help stabilize my PH. I've been testing every day and night with the same reading of 7.6 very frustrating!
Not a happy tank right now, corals are not opening up, browning out, and loosing its color! All parameters seem to be on point except Ph

I was having same problems. All my test was looking good but the ph. I was using the buffers to keep it at 8.4 but still didn't work. And was told that buffers are no good for your tank.

Yea I hear the same thing, buffers fix one problem, but causes another one...
This might be a dumb question, but once you connect the air line to the skimmer that means I'll have to run the skimmer every day? For how long? @Fozzy225

I leave my skimmer on 24/7 and give it a full cleaning once every 6 months. The cup I clean once a week with water change.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge @Fozzy225

Back
Top Bottom