After 3 days of darkness, lps not doing well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggpaul

Aquarium Advice Activist
Don't know what's going on. Parameters are perfect. Nitrate 0, calcium 460, kh is 6 trying to raise it. There is Brown algae on my zoas, they won't open anymore. Now my lps won't open to much. Salt level 1.025. What's going on??? I did three days of darkness and the dino dissapeared! Hurray, but the frogspawn and hammer don't look good. Before the dark days, I added some powder to raise kh, and they suddenly retracted. Maybe I should've premixed it first instead of throwing it in? I'm worried. Nitrates are up to 20, doing water change now

See picture. Lps on top not doing well!!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421302626195.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421302626195.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 92
Yes, it's a definite no-no to add powder directly to the tank. Water changes to correct things and wait it out now.

The good news is you can still see the polyps, they are just retracted. Thats usually a sign it will recover. By adjusting the kh with powder then 3 days of dark you pretty much change their entire environment, I'm not surprised they are hiding. Water change and wait, that's what I would do...

The good news is you can still see the polyps, they are just retracted. Thats usually a sign it will recover. By adjusting the kh with powder then 3 days of dark you pretty much change their entire environment, I'm not surprised they are hiding. Water change and wait, that's what I would do...

I did a water change yesterday (5 gallons, tank is about 23/24 gallons), should I do another one really soon or is that enough? Those are my favorite coral on top. The wall hammer is awesome, and the frogspawn went from 1 head to 8 heads. I don't want to lose them. I noticed some of them spitting out brown gue from their heads.

Back
Top Bottom