Ah...asterina starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PurplePolyp

Aquarium Advice Freak
These little guys are crazy. Every time I do a water change, I'll suction a few out. I found out what happens if you don't get rid of a few. As I'm sitting here staring at my tank today, I count 32 of these little guys. And I know there are plenty I can't see. I guess I'll siphon some out with my water change today. Does anyone else have these critters or am I the only one.

image-243438172.jpg

I have not found any in my tank...yet. Lol
they look so cute but i believe i was warned against them at one time

I discovered copepods and even more recently amphipods as late as 6 months after initial setup. I do have TONS of white brittle stars tho

I was told there wasn't much you could do other than suction some out when you do water changes. I could buy something that eats starfish but I have a black brittle star and a sand sifter that need to live. My black brittle star is about 10" in diameter now!

I am battling them too... About 10 a day I pull out, sometimes up to 25. I'm considering a Harlequin shrimp. Google it... They eat starfish so if you have a pet star it wouldn't work.

I'm getting a harlequin shrimp Fri. They will go threw the little white stars pretty quick so you would have to buy him a star every cpl weeks. We will be feeding our chocolate chip stars once he rids the little white guys.

I have hundreds in my tank. I just leave them there. All they do is eat trash off the glass.

I am on my 3rd jug of a 20 gallon change. I pulled out about 25 or 30. I still see some in there but I'm tired of going after them. Lol

melosu58 said:
I have hundreds in my tank. I just leave them there. All they do is eat trash off the glass.

Amen! I prolly have a hundred on my glass right now... who care free cuc if ya ask me!

I have them too. They clean my glass pretty well and it is cool to watch them split. I considered getting a bumble bee harlequin once they get out of hand because I have read they are easier to feed other food to besides stars, not nearly as cool though.

image-1154570864.jpg

I had a big wave of them at one point but now there's only a handful. Actually I've had waves of several different hitchhiker critters over the years. Not sure what caused them to recede but it wasn't anything I did willfully.

Same here. They will only overpopulate if they have a constant algae supply. Keeping your glass clean will probably do more for controlling numbers then siphoning them out will.

Back
Top Bottom