Ahhh!!! Snail had a few zoos! >: (

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had found that my snail is eating my zoos :evil: Do I need to get rid of them??? I dont want him eating my poor zoos plz help

well if he is eating your zoo's then the smart thing would be to get rid of him. That was kind of a self answered question.

brndfrb said:
well if he is eating your zoo's then the smart thing would be to get rid of him. That was kind of a self answered question.

In case you hadn't noticed...I'm the boss around here...it's not nice to steal my answers before I can post them
rotlaugh.gif
rotlaugh.gif
rotlaugh.gif

well, Im just wondering if it is normal for snails to eat zoos

There are some that do, they are called sundial snails ;)

Well, you can simply out it in an ant bed for a couple of days and they will clean it up for you, or boilinb water and then bleach work pretty good ;)

boil water with bleach while boiling

No! Boil the animal with the shell until it falls out. Then after than, you can soak it in diluted bleach. The bleach will help brighten up the shell and bit and remove any left "gunk" from the animal.

Oh ok, thanks. How do u guys know how to get rid of the snail and keep the shell? Did u take some snail shells and decorate ur tank with em?

or...you could spare the animal and drop it off at the LFS so someone else can put it in their tank. I believe we all have the responsibility of keeping things alive.

Too late... Anyway, when I boiled it it didnt exactly drop out but I took a toothpick through its body and pulled it out, now it is bleaching. Will the bleach take out most of the green algea on its body?

How do u guys know how to get rid of the snail and keep the shell? Did u take some snail shells and decorate ur tank with em?

Working in the family shell store for the better part of my life, its my business to know these things...

;-)

I have cleaned literally thousands of conchs, cockles, scallops, etc... with my dad over the years. We got so tired of having to dip shells in hydrochloric acid and chlorine, we actually buy them "pre-cleaned" nowadays. Its worth the extra money.

oh ok, is my snail shelll worth anything? LOL I dunno why I am asking because its going to be a decoration for the tank. I have left it in the bleach and there is bubbles rising from the shell, is that cleaning it and all?

or...you could spare the animal and drop it off at the LFS so someone else can put it in their tank. I believe we all have the responsibility of keeping things alive.

If, and I gotta say (cause I didn't see it), it was a sundial snail, it would be doing someone a disservice to allow them to put it in their tank, they are predators. While I agree with the sentiment (I mean the snail was just doing it's thing and didn't ask to be yanked out of the ocean), I kill predatory nudibranchs in my tank on a weekly basis. Why, cause if I didn't they would eat all my montis, what can I do with them? Who would want them?

oh ok, is my snail shelll worth anything?

I doubt it is worth anything. Most stuff in the aquarium trade is pretty easy to come by. If it is a Sundial, we sell them for .69¢ a piece.

I have left it in the bleach and there is bubbles rising from the shell, is that cleaning it and all?

Yes. You should be able to get away with leaving it in overnight. This is what we used to do.

Make sure after you are done soaking it in bleach, you need to put it in another bucket and use a dechlorinator. I would then make sure you rinse it well again and then soak it in pure water overnight. This will make sure that no chlorine remains in the shell.

I kill predatory nudibranchs in my tank on a weekly basis. Why, cause if I didn't they would eat all my montis, what can I do with them? Who would want them?

I agree, if I had kept it, it would eat all of my zoos (not instantly) so that is why I took it out. Good thing I noticed it. No worries, because my zoos will eventually grow back :wink:

Back
Top Bottom