AHHHH.... Salinity!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InxayonFinland

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been checking my salinity every day for the past 6 days.

1st day - 1.28
2.nd - 1.26
3nd - 1.26
4th- 1.25
5th- 1.27
6th - 1.25.

IT was perfect and then i added my clownfish after my cycle was over and everything was great. Then all of a sudden my salinity rises. I've been using freshwater for top-off. Is there anything i can do to make it stable?

you using a hydrometer? my hydrometer fluctuates and is not that accurate. my refractometer is always the same. sometimes small little bubbles can affect the readout on the hydrometer....just a thought.

Cheers,
ryan

If you use a swing arm hydrometer you are likely to get different readings every day due to it sticking or getting air bubbles trapped. The long 12" floating hydrometers are slightly more accurate IMO as long as you don’t keep them in the water all the time and keep deposits off of it.

As ryguy said a refractometer is the best bet for spot on accuracy.

I also concur. When I finally purchased my refractometer, there was 0.003 difference with the hydrometer. The hydro was showing 0.025 but the refractor showed 0.028

Save yourself some pain and invest in a refractometer. You won't regret it. 8)

Cheers!

:)

i have the one from drfostersmith.com and it works great. i had a hydrometer and it was off by 5.....

Back
Top Bottom