AI SOL Blue - JBJ 28 Gallon - Setting Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizzle007

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

I just ordered by AI SOL Blue to replace my JBJ 28 Gallon Interemediate LED hood.

I will be setting it ip using the AI Rail System and have made a piece of acrylic that will sit between the light and the surface. I am trying to come up with the break in settings and final settings and would like you get some advice this is what I am looking at.

Anyone have experiance with JBJ 28 and AI SOL Blue? What setting are people using on the nano reefs?

See Attachment for Settings and Schedule.

Thanks

:fish2:

View attachment AI_SOL_BLUE_Setup.doc

I have 2 AI sol whites on a 57, and I can tell you, the optics make the PAR at the substrate ridiculously high. I am currently running at less than 30% (mind you this is 2 units) on the tank. I think your initial settings are too high, and the 3 week ramp up is too aggressive. I nuked an acro, 2 hammers, a bunch of zoas, and some fauvia at 40% intensity (this was after I initially nuked some coral at about 60-70%).

I wrote a writeup awhile back reviewing the AIs... you might be interested. It gives some PAR readings on my tank and some other info.
Review: Aqua Illumination Sol, Hanging Kit, and Controller - Aquarium Advice

I have 2 AI sol whites on a 57, and I can tell you, the optics make the PAR at the substrate ridiculously high. I am currently running at less than 30% (mind you this is 2 units) on the tank. I think your initial settings are too high, and the 3 week ramp up is too aggressive. I nuked an acro, 2 hammers, a bunch of zoas, and some fauvia at 40% intensity (this was after I initially nuked some coral at about 60-70%).

I wrote a writeup awhile back reviewing the AIs... you might be interested. It gives some PAR readings on my tank and some other info.
Review: Aqua Illumination Sol, Hanging Kit, and Controller - Aquarium Advice

Excellent review.

Now I am scared of the light. :hide:

After reading your article I came up with this. What do you think?

View attachment AI_SOL_BLUE_Setup.doc

I think you are in a good starting place for month 1... I might reduce the steps to a week at a time and just do smaller step ups and more step ups. It is a great feature that you can bump it up in very small increments to avoid drastic changes to the tank. I think with a single unit you might be ok to get a little higher than your month 3 goal, but SLOW and watching your coral will be the key.

If you can rent or buy a PAR meter, that is the best way. I should have done that off the bat. Even though PAR is a somewhat flawed way to measure output of an LED, it still gives you a very good estimate of how much light is available to your coral.

And yes, I am still afraid... you gotta respect the optics. It won't look as bright as MHs but believe me, those optics and Crees definitely put out some ridiculous light. The shimmer is excellent as well, and very little honeycomb or spot lighting effect if you mount it at the right height.

I am excited. I will be replacing the intermediate led jbj hood, which will really opens some doors for me on what coral i can get.

Right now I only have a small green torch.

What PAR should i be targeting for the tank?

Depends on what you want to keep, but generally 100-150uMols is sufficient for all but the most demanding SPS.

Back
Top Bottom