Aiptasia plague

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have injected my Aiptasis now three times and I cant seem to get control of them. I have 40-50lbs LR (20 +/- indiv. rocks). There is nothing else in the tank, other than LS, pods and worms. Is there anything I can do to take care of this plague, other than treating the whole tank? Can I just take out the individual rocks and soak in lemon juice for a short time, rinse and put back in tank? I can shake the rocks a bit in tank to disloge and loose pods and worms first. Next step is to get some Pep. shrimp, but the tank is still new and I don't know if the shrimps would fare well. All parameters are zero, but just not that mature. 2 mos old.

if u can i would try an aptsia eating invert, i have hag luck with true peppermint shrimp, i haven't tried the aptasia eating nudy, but a recent article (this month) on coral magazine praises them as easy to care for easily breed to, i might look into those options

How big is the tank? I would try about 6 peppermint shrimp to see if that helps.

I tried this stuff called "Stop Aptasia" from a LFS and this is what they use in house.
Basically the same process as Joe's. Did the kalk thing too, and got a few that way.
aptasia eating nudy
These guys are usually sold tiny, and I have 4 PH in tank, not a happy place for small nudy.
How big is the tank? I would try about 6 peppermint shrimp to see if that helps
90gal. Looks like PepShrimp my next step.
I had quite a few popping up. I added 3 pep. shrimp to my 75g, and bye, bye aptasia!
Are they pretty quick about it?

SO I GUESS THE LEMON JUICE THING IS OUT?

I had a teribble aptasia problem. I got a Raccoon Butterflyfish two weeks ago and it ate all of the aptasia, even the big ones!

Got some stuff from my LFS called "Stop Aptasia", the bigger ones seemed to eat it for lunch. I injected 75+ with KALK and seemed to get them little by little. Got it down to 20+/-, got two peppermint shrimp and the did a heck of a job, down to just 5 or so and their the bigger ones. A friend got me some Joe's and I will zap :2gunfire: them tonight.

next question: What will the peppermints eat once the Aptasia is all gone. I know they are carnivorous scavengers, but will they eat coral polyps?

The peps will eat the aptasia and fish food that makes it to the bottom or the rocks. They are reef friendly. I'd go with the six peps for now. I put 10 in my 75. Never seen aptasia in 11 months.

Yur tank did finish cyling, right? Sounds like time for a few b/g chromis, peps, and a small cleaning crew. What's your outlook for inhabitants? If certain kinds of fish, bye, bye peps anyway.

A new rock of zoas I bought from a store I usually don't go to had two little (to tiny for me to see in the store) aptaisia on it..... I think I am going to go pick up a couple peppermint shrimp today. The tank they are going in is a 20 gallon. How many should I go and pick up? Also, after the aptaisia problem is over, what do I feed these little guys?

What's your outlook for inhabitants
Lots of shrooms (big Ricordia fan), zoos and a leather or two. just smaller reef fish. Added my first fish 1 1/2 weeks ago, Lyretail Anthia (F), and I must say it it the most beautiful fish I have ever seen (gallery shot). Will be getting another this week to keep her company. Pseudos and cardinals on the list as well.

Back
Top Bottom