Aiptasias - good filter/scavengers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Never seen this before. New LR, a few aiptasia's growing on it that I haven't zapped with lemon juice yet.

I noticed this one had gobbled down two bits of pellet food I fed the fish about an hour ago...

Wierd.

DSC00751.JPG

How does an Aiptasia get pellet food???? I had about 10 Aiptasia develop on a single large piece of LR from the LFS. I am told that they are tank invasive and should be killed immediately. Don't pluck them off because the remaining broken pod will produce many more than you started with.

I used a concentration of lemon/lime juice and a thin hypodermic needle. I was able to kill all of they except one. The same one has survived 5-6 treatments and is back out the day after treatment. I've named him Hercules.

For what its worth, Joe's Juice is said to be the most effective Aiptasia killer. You let a drop of the stuff drop into its mouth and that should do it. I think MarineDepot carries it.

Good luck.

Oh, I know they're bad. That's a new rock, just haven't added it yet.

I've killed about 10 in the last 4 months with a shot of lemon juice concentrate. Only one came back from that, and I'm going after him later?

I just thought this one with the pellets in his stem was interesting...

You can feed any anemone a pellet and it'll eat it. Just for fun, I used to target feed brine shrimp to my yellow polyps. They devoured them, and it was really cool to watch. My torch coral lost shrimp pellets and chunks of frozen food.

Nice picture

Back
Top Bottom