Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwaterman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I have a 72 gallon saltwater aquarium with 1 yellow tang, 2 clownfish, 2 banshees, 1 cleaner shrimp, and about eight hermit crabs. Oh and one tiger sand conch. I had my tank up and running for about 6-7 months and everything is working perfectly. However I have a huge algae problem from Hair algae too brown algae on the glass. I've been picking the hair algae every day but it comes back. I tested everything and everything is perfect accept for the little ammonia I had but it's gone now. I bought new light need for my marine life and corals. Would that help??? And would anyone give me advise?? Thanks. Oh and I'm using reverse osmosis water with water changes.

Got those but hermits got em

Attachments

• image-3153516822.jpg
    image-3153516822.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 154
An algae outbreak means there is too much of "something" be it light, nitrates, phosphates, or some combination. It can be surprising how little extra it takes, too. Try doing a 50% water change in addition to your regular water change schedule, reducing your lighting by one or two hours, and feeding a little less.
Also, can you be a bit more specific about water parameters other than "perfect"? and what test kit are you using?

I've been feeding them less, any less I starve them. For my nitrite testing I use Nutrafin Test kit. My nitrite is not even 0.1 it's Crystal clear, but some say it's because the hair algae traps it all and can't give you the true result. My ammonia is 0 . I also replaced my actinic blue marine aquarium bulb(T8) hoping that will help and soil replacing my two T5's

You must have excess nutrients and the algae is using it therefore your test show 0 also your bulbs aren't old right? Also gotta say this yellow tang shouldn't be in a 72 gal for how active they are

My yellow tang has been quite fine tbh but I'll give a huge water change and see why that'll do? I'm using Reverse Osmosis, is that all right?

Saltwaterman said:
My yellow tang has been quite fine tbh but I'll give a huge water change and see why that'll do? I'm using Reverse Osmosis, is that all right?

Yeah ro water is the best for saltwater and do you have a tds meter

Ammonia should always read 0, so that's good. Nitrate level looks great. What about phosphate levels?
BTW, don't worry about starving your fish. In a healthy tank, they will find something to eat even if you forget to feed them for a day or two.

MacDracor said:
Ammonia should always read 0, so that's good. Nitrate level looks great. What about phosphate levels?
BTW, don't worry about starving your fish. In a healthy tank, they will find something to eat even if you forget to feed them for a day or two.

I didn't test my phosphate level and my tank isn't exactly healthy do to its algae problem.

Back
Top Bottom