Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artoledo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a long hairy algae growing now in my tank with green algae as well. Any ideas on how to get rid of these things. My sally lightfoot crabs have all died off and snails as well since my tank went crazy on me. My water parameters are good now and would like to know if it is ok to drop some inverts in there that would clean all that algae up. If so, what do you guys suggest to get it out of there?

Reduced feeding/lighting. More PWCs will help, make sure you siphon it out otherwise it will spread. I wouldn't suggest throwing inverts, this is more like a band aid solution, to solve the problem. If you do, you won't learn the proper way of taking care of your tank. Hit the PWCs, reduce feeding/lighting, siphon and before you know it, you will be good to go.

The link that Lisa gave you is an excellent article. Could you post your water parameters so we can see them and be better able to help. I believe at the time your nitrates were high which would have killed off your crabs and snails which do not do good under high nitrates and it fueled your algea. IMO I would do weekly PWC`s and siphon off the algea as you draw out your tank water. This will help to eliminate a good portion of it. A blackout would not be a bad idea for a few days to a week. JMO

Back
Top Bottom