Algae, algae, algae!!!! Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am havuing the worst time with algae. Before my tank was good and then all of a sudden I have gotten immense amounts of algae all over my rock and som on my substrate. It is even groiwing on my snails backs! some of it is green hair algae and some of it is a red hair type algae. It seems like it is only growing in areas where there is direct sunlight if that makes any difference. I changed the bulbs around x-mas time also. I have checked my levels and they are all at 0 nas I far as I ca n tell. I don't have a glass top and I keep my tank around 78 degrees. I have a protein skimmer and I also use RO/DI water for all my changes. I onlky feed my fish every few days. One thing that I did have over my tank was one of the blue rope lights that you can get around christmas time but I am not sure if that made in difference. I use JBJ light bulbs on my 2x96 watt PC's. 1 10,000 k and 1 Actinic bulb. I am at a loss of what to due. My lkighting cycle is from 11am - 9pm which I don't think is much. My salinity is at 1.025 and calcium is constantl;y at 450 as I drip Kalk. If someone could please help me with this I am going crazy looking at my algae ridden tank. I will be checking this post often and any help or any ideas from anyone would be great.

Please Please help me out!

Thanks,
Josh

PS I have a pic of the red algae in my gallery!

There has to be a source of nutrients for the nusiance algae. It just won't grow without being fed. Do you have a TDS meter for your ro unit? It's possible the membrane has gone bad and your adding water loaded with phosphate.
I don't think the sun shining in the tank or the length of time your light are on has anything to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom