Algae and my tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b3noodles

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello again. I was just wondering I seem to have alot of brown algea growing on my glass and rocks and also on soe of the shells of my snails. Should I get more snails? I only have 4 turbo snails in my 55 gal. I also have noticed bright red and green algea on the bottom of my tank on the crushed coral,is this good or bad? Any suggestions are greatly valued. Sue

Is this a new tank set up and are you using ro water?
The brown algea sounds like diatoms which is usually part the the finishing up phase of the cycle process. It can also be from silicates in the water and that usually comes from using tap water.
The red algea sounds like cyanobacteria. That is usually from an excess of nutrients in the water and is compounded by poor water circulation. The use of a good protein skimmer, increased circulation and less feedings will help eliminate that.
HTH

Ok first no it is not a new tank it is up and running with lr and fish. I guess I am really stupid because I don't know what ro water is. So I guess I am not using it. lol We have a powerhead and hob filter that keeps the water moving pretty good(but maybe not. I am sensing that I am feeding too much so I am slowing down on that aspect. I do not have a protien skimmer. Is there some place that I can get one cheap? Thanks for the help. Sue

I do not have a protien skimmer. Is there some place that I can get one cheap?
This is not something to skimp on. Expect to pay around $150 for a good one.

RO is reverse osmosis, a water purifier. They can be had for around $200.

you can get a ro/di unit on ebay for 135 shipped.

Skilter makes a cheap skimmer, most people don't like them here but I have 2 of them and they do work.

Ok what exactly am I looking for a skimmer or ro? I am new and thought I didnt need a skimmer unless we has corals. My water is clean but I have alot of hair like algae. Will a skimmer help get rid of it and could I use some more snails? thanks so much! Sue

You'll need both. The RO/DI filter takes all of the elements out of the water such as, metals,minerals and chemicals.

Here is the RO/DI filter that I just picked up on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20756&item=4300511039&rd=1
I see that a lot of people on this board use them and like them. I have not found a cheaper place for a filter yet.
I too am dealing with cyano and diatom , because I am not using ro water, plus my tank is still cycling. You will need the protein skimmer even if it is just live rock. I was stupid and bought a cheapo' skimmer from petsmart and it does not work that great so make sure you get a good one. :D
I am still a noob so I can't answer the other questions about the snails sorry..

Back
Top Bottom