Algae = Cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFrik

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently got a 2 years old 75G setup. Due to the move (30 mins), there was a small cycle. NH3 was .25 top and NO2 was .1. It's been up and running with fish/coral (my 29G had a spike) for almost 2 weeks. There was no loss during the transfer :) which is so great. Even so, i've been testing for NH3 and NO2 once per 2 days and they keep staying at .25 and .1. I tested the water again today but NH3 is still at .25 (tested with 2 dif. tests, 1 came out 0, 1 came out .25) and NO2 is slightly over 0 but not quite .1. I notice a noticable amount of diatom on the sandbed and hair algae on the front glass. Does this mean the mini cycle is over? I don't really trust my tests :/ i got them from a LFS that i swore to myself i would never return... :s

TIA

Hmmm, it sounds like there is still some die off. I'm glad you didn't have any losses and now maybe you can get a few of the fish you wanted a few months back! I think a few PWCs might get those numbers where you want.

I agree. Sounds like you still have some cycling going on and some bacterial catching up to do. I'd not assume you are cycled yet until the diatoms go away.

Back
Top Bottom