Algae growing on star polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clr_newbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had this green star polyp colony for about 6 months. If you look at the picture attached(hopefully) you can see a few large polyps and lots of little ones. The large polyps are from the original colony I purchased and the smaller ones are new growth of the colony. I was away for a weekend and when I came home I noticed the larger polyp section is mostly closed and there is a red algae covering it in sections.

I am not sure what to do. Usually the larger polyp section is very full and opened up. It is like this reddish algae is preventing some sections from opening.

Has anyone seen anything like this and are there any recommendations on what to do?

[/img]

Attachments

• starplyps1.jpg
    starplyps1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 100
  • starplyps1.jpg
    starplyps1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 211
It's cyanobacteria. It's possible that it's smothering your polyps. Try syphoning it off using some airline tubing or, use a baster to blow it off. You could also try aiming a ph toward the polyps. That should help the cyano from taking hold.
As for the cyano itself, it's caused by excess nutrients in your water. High nitrates and phosphates will aid it's growth and low flow helps it attach.

Back
Top Bottom