Algae growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
So Some weird algae is starting to take over some of my rocks in my tank. It looks almost like clovers. It's vine like and its has completely cover my birdsnest and is starting to choke it out. How do I save my birdsnest, and how do I get rid of this algae. I bought turbo snails and and a seahare and they won't tough it. I was told to turn the lights off, how long should I leave them off and will any of my sps corals die because of this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What size tank is this. It almost sounds like Calerpa. There are several types.

You sure its not really a Clove coral taking over your tank? Those things are impossible to remove from your tank. What color is it?
http://www.waltsmith.com/PhotoGallery/OctSoft/ClavulariaClovePolyp1.jpg

If you find it is algae, 3 day total lights out will take care of it, and not harm your SPS.

Bryopsis is a clean water algae and is tough to kill. You need to raise your MAG to over 1600 using Kent Tech M and keep it there until its dead.
Bryopsis | Melev's Reef

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443997799.799546.jpg

Here are a few pics of the algae. I turned the lights off and will leave them off for 3 days will this affect my anemone ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443997883.906477.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443997923.409652.jpg

More pics of the algae, what kind of Algae does it look like, will leaving my lights off for 3 days affect my anemone ?

Looks like turf algae. Are you running a Skimmer? Your going to need something to remove the yuck thats going to come from the lights being off.
Lights out will tick off the Anemone, won't harm him.

Turning the lights off for 3 days isn't gonna touch that algae. Your best bet is remove the rock and scrub it off with a hard plastic bristle brush. Get as much off as possible manually then deal with your nitrate or phosphate issue that is fueling that algae. Once algae gets into the coral its super hard to remove. I'd use a bottle brush or something really small and not to tough to get inbetween the branches. DONT brush it off in your tank, it will float, land and start a new life where it landed. Make sure before you brush it off you remove it from your tank.

I have the same stuff in my tank. Kind of like a circular fern. I have it in two parts of the tank. I did go three days without lights to kill off a cyanobacteria issue and can confirm the algae you are dealing with will not be killed off. The stuff in my tank got a little white from the experience but within a day was green and thriving once again.

Didn't say three days without lights won't clear cyanobacteria or brown slime algae. I did say that the fern like algae shown in the photos in this thread exist in my tank and survived just fine after three days without light. My cyano was gone, but the fernlike algae was not.

So nwsharksfan how did you kill the fern algae

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom