Algae in live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got quite a lot of hair algae in my live sand, which I'm going to tackle tonight. I'll pull as much out as I can, but is it ok to sort of mix the sand up so that the algae is underneath the surface and out of view, or could that cause problems?

I've just got some Rowaphos, so hopefully the algae won't grow back half as quick this time! :)

I removed mine when I had it, it was red slime algae which is a result of low water flow in an area, which is probably what yours is if it's on the sand.

It's hard to remove it though, easiest thing to do would be to sort of stir up the sand to hide it, but could that cause problems in the live sand?

If you increase the general flow in that area it will clear up on its own in a few days.

Mine's green/brown in the sand. I'll stick another powerhead in there and point it downwards towards the sand, as well as try and pull as much out as I can, and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom