algae in skimmer and filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rambo64

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a hob cpr bak pak skimmer along with a biowheel filter. i have noticed that I have a copper colored algae that is growing on parts of my filter and a brownish algae that is growing inside of my skimmer. Is it a good idea to occasionally clean out the inside of the filter and skimmer? I have heard that they say do not clean the bio bail.

Yes the skimmer needs to be occasionally cleaned. It`s OK to clean the bio balls but make sure you rinse them off in SW. I`m getting ready to replace my bioballs with LR rubble.

melosu58 said:
Yes the skimmer needs to be occasionally cleaned. It`s OK to clean the bio balls but make sure you rinse them off in SW. I`m getting ready to replace my bioballs with LR rubble.

Edit**** I see you have the bio wheel so you were talking about the bio wheel. Sorry I thought you said bio balls. Yes dont mess with the wheel.

no you were right with what you originally said. Two questions. Does anyone know what the copper colored algae might be? Also I am thinking about the same thing Melosu is thinking. I would like to put liverock rubble in my filter and skimmer. If I have a hob should I not do this and leave the bail in there? And if I do do it will it effect my tank parameters to much?

What else does this algea look like? Is it dusty or does it have bubbles in it? Does it have a red tint to it? Maybe a pic?

I will get pics. It does have a red tint to it. It does also seem kind of dusty. It is caked on the biowheel and skimmer water returns. what else do you know about putting live rock in your skimmer in an established tank?

I would be careful about putting LR in the skimmer. It may impede it's ability to produce skimmate. Adding LR rubble to the HOB filter will not cause any problems. I'd say your better off with that than w/ mechanical filtration like floss. It's always a good idea to have somewhere to run chemical media like GAC. If you could fit a filter sock w/ some GAC in w/ the rubble that would be great. HTH

Back
Top Bottom