Algae issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonsRus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am having algae issues in my 46g bow tank. I've got mostly red and a little brown algae that formas all over the sand. Tank has been running since las october, fish went in in late Jan. Right now I have a lawnmower blenny, a scooter blenny, a tomato clown and a small porcupine puffer. I've also got about 10 hermit crabs left and 3 or 4 turbo snails. (my puffer seems to be quite the pig) and also one sand star. I've got live sand and about 25 lbs. or flive rock. I've got an Aquaclear rated for a 55g, and a bak-pak type protein skimmer. I've also got a powerhead going as well. So all of this algae that's on my sand, how can I get rid of it? I stir the sand a bit with a stick every day as well. Also I know that 25lbs. of live rock probably isn't enough, but I am moving soon and I was planning on getting a total of double that when I move in to my new place. I've also had my water tested by two different lfs, and they say everything is ideal. No trates or trites or phos issues. What should I do? I've already turned the lights to less than 11hours a day... Thanks for your help.

First, if you've had the bulbs since the start, it's getting to be time to replace them. Second, why do you have a puffer in with the smaller fish and inverts. He's just going to eat them. The red algae is probably from overfeeding. You could also use some more crabs and snails, but it won't do any good with the puffer in there. Most people will say not to use it, but Chemi-pure is a good way to get rid of red slime algae. But you still have to eliminate the cause of it too.

Wow, I didn't know I had to replace the bulbs so soon. As to why the puffer is in there: he was a gift, and he is only about 3" long. When I move I am giving him to somebody else (hopefully) of giving him back to the store. Originally I wasn't going to move so far away, but now I don't think it would be a good idea to move with fish. The other fish in the tank are WAY too big for him to eat.

As the bulbs get older they shift light spectrum aiding some nuisance algaes. The red algae sounds like cyanobacteria and is caused by excess nutrients(phosphates). Even though your water tests zero you may still have a problem with them. The nuisance algae is just consuming the phosphates as they are produced. I used chemi clean after solving my phosphate problem and it cleared the cyano away very quickly. I have not used chemi pure for this problem so others may chime in on that. Good luck and be sure to find the source of excess nutrients as all else is just a bandaid.

Back
Top Bottom