Algae Ooutbreak!!! PLEASE HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhuls15

Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have a 180 gallon reef system that has been running for over 2 years with no problem. Within the last few weeks there has been an outbreak of algae, Brown, Green Hair and a green slime. It is slowly taking over the tank and I have lost a few Mushrooms so far. All the fish are ok but I dont want this stuff to bring my tank down. Here are the reading for my tank
PH: 8.4
KH: 10
Salinity: 1.023
ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 60(I know this is high and I have done water changes to help bring it down.

I dose Kalkwasser and use reef builder to level out the calcium and KH. I also run and Eco System filter and have 5 power heads in the tank for flow. PLEASE HELP!!!!! I need some ideas on how to get rid of it and prevent anything else from dieing

How long do you keep your lights on? Have you upgraded your lighting at all? How much are you feeding your fish? Algae needs three things to grow: light, food, and water.....since every tank has water (duh) that leaves light and food. Over feeding can cause an outbreak as well as too much lighting for too long a period of time.HTH :wink:

As far as lighting goes, my Atinics are on for 12 hours and my white lights are on for 10. The atinics come on one hour before the white and stay on one hour longer than the white. The lights have been on timers and on this cycle since I started the tank 2 years ago. I usually feed them in the moring and then at night but since the outbreak I have only been feeding them once in the morning...Thanks for the help

What is your water source and have you tested the PO4 level?

Cheers
Steve

I use RO water. I have a unit in my basement. IT has been about 6month since i changed the media in....I took my water to a local saltwater store and the phosphates were very low

I took a water sample to my Local Fish Store and they tested for phosphates and they never gave me a number but they told me it was barely showing up on their test

Unfortunately any reading of inorganic PO4 means elevated levels in organic PO4 which can cause a nasty cycle allowing a constant food source for unwanted algaes and other issues.

Phosphorus: Algae’s Best Friend ... by Randey Holmes-Farley

Cheers
Steve

I have started to use PHOS-BAN to help reduce phosphates and I have also started to use a Protein Skimmer, and I started using Kalk about 2 weeks ago....DO you have any idea how long it can take for these extras i have added to help get rid of this hair algae?????

You also need to manually remove the algaes as much as possible. That will help remove any nutrient they have absorbed and speed up the process some.

Cheers
Steve

Have you changed the bulbs in your fixtures in a while? 6 months for PC and 1-2 years for MH is their lifespan. Not when they burn out, but when the color specturm begins to get out of whack and turn very red. This will cause a decline in coral health and make conditions great for an algae bloom. HTH

Ok......I have retested the Phosphates and they are now reading 0 but I retested my Nitrate and they are going thru the roof!!!! They are reading about 100, I know this is extremely high but I am trying to figure out how they got this high....I dont think i am over feeding...I am feeding only once a day. I have started to do 20 gallon water changes every 4 days. Is this too much or should it be more? I jsut changed my lights, which are VHO, about 6 months ago. I am running to Atinics and 2 whites.....These total about 640 watts. My fish are fine but any low lying coral are being taken over by the hair algae. Any input on the water changes?? More of them?? or more often??? Thanks for the help!!!! THis is the best info site i have found

Back
Top Bottom