Algae Outbreak...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeenReefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just recently changed my lighting from a standard 20 watt bulb to a 2x65 watt coralife fixture. I havent had any algea problems for a good year now, but a brown (looks like a diatom outbreak) algea is now covering everything! I also recently moved the rocks around last week, stirring up the sand and added one damsel yesterday to a tank that has been stockless for a while. Mind you that this tank has been up and running for two years. Any thoughts?

Water parameters as of now.

Nitrate:20-40 ppm (high i know, it gone up from last week. Was about 10-20)
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Alkalinity: 300 ppm
pH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0-.25 ppm

Any way i can bring Nitrate down, and how big of water changes should i do a day since my water its reading 0 ppm?

Do you have a skimmer, that will remove DOC. This will remove nitrates. Maybe a HOB refuge. A few ideas

Stirring up the sand bed is most likely the culprit for the rise in nitrates. As stated, use a skimmer and do some water changes. Also, depending on your feeding schedule, you can cut back to every other day.

i dont have a skimmer, just a HOTB filter and live rock/sand. I will try 2 gallon water changes over the next couple of days. I have cut back on the feeding schedule, even though i only have one fish! :)

Stirring the sand an moving the LR probably caused your tank to do a mini cycle. be sure to keep a eye on water quality.

ok, thanks brenden. wish we still had the kudos program and id be dishin them out to you a lot it seems! thanks for the advice!

I feel your pain TeenReefer, I just upgraded my lighting a few weeks ago and am dealing with a large diatom/algae outbreak. Its frustrating because I've had it up and running for 2 years now and its been fine...

What are the lighting recommendations for a tank? Should the length of light be cut back?

Back
Top Bottom