Algae Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know we all face algae issues.. one problem i seem to have is this brown/red algae that is on my sand bed.. im just wondering if anyone might know what this is, and if i can counteract it?

cheers

How long has the tank been setup? New tanks get diatom algae which is brown and coats everything in the tank. Older tanks get cyanobacteria which is reddish brown and usually only coats the rock and maybe the substrate.

electrikat said:
How long has the tank been setup? New tanks get diatom algae which is brown and coats everything in the tank. Older tanks get cyanobacteria which is reddish brown and usually only coats the rock and maybe the substrate.

FYI to differentiate, diatoms appear dusty while cyano appears slimy.

my tank has been set up for a year or so. i think its cyanobacteria.. its more reddish and stringy.. not on my rock but on the substrate base..

can this be fixed or not.?

and brisco.. my two zebra morays rock..stars and stripes.. morays r cool!!

StripesTheEel said:
my tank has been set up for a year or so. i think its cyanobacteria.. its more reddish and stringy.. not on my rock but on the substrate base..

can this be fixed or not?

The stringy stuff is most likely cyano. It can be fixed, but first you have to find what is causing it. I have a paper on cyanobacteria and how to deal with it, but I had a little too much wine with dinner tonight and cant remember where it is in my computer. I will try and find it for you tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom