Algae problem any ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pokmijn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I've been losing the battle for a while now. Now its time for everyone to chime in their ideas so i can give it a shot.
Info:
Setup is on 10/06/10
Rock and sand is from existing tank.(One piece is from the LSF(live rock))
10 gallon tank
20 gallon sump
Mag5 return pump
Sunpod 70watt hqi
cheato
Macro algae
skimmer
running carbon
Live rock in sump
ATS(only on for a few days)
2xclown fish
1xyellow watchman
pistol shrimp
cleaner shrimp
dont know how many snails but started out with 25
all corals and my clam are doing great

I do waterchanges every 1 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks Depend on when my work schedule. I just take out all water from the sump and replace it with new one.
I use RO/DI water for wc and topoff

Reading:
amm-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-0
ph-8.2
temp-81
no phosphate test sorry
Heres picture
img_1187442_0_6913a43b97ff4c0da4e0f14b19d51231.jpg

I'm guessing that your 8.2 is PH and not SG/ does the algae blow off the rock or is it slimy? A 10g is pretty small for a clam. What type do you have?

I'm guessing that your 8.2 is PH and not SG/ does the algae blow off the rock or is it slimy? A 10g is pretty small for a clam. What type do you have?

Opps yeah i meant ph haha. Well about the algae yes it blow off with a turkey blaster and kind of slimy and hairy with a brown color. My clam is still pretty small and its a corcea.
Im saving up to upgrade to a larger tank but i dont know when it will happen.

I would say it looks like a diatom bloom, since the tank is relatively new (even with the established LR) you're going to go through about a 6 to 12 month establishment phase where things you cannot measure will fluctuate and eventually balance out. If you can blow the algae off, I would use the turkey baster to remove as much as you can a couple times a week.

Anyone else chime in, I'm guessing here.

I would say it looks like a diatom bloom, since the tank is relatively new (even with the established LR) you're going to go through about a 6 to 12 month establishment phase where things you cannot measure will fluctuate and eventually balance out. If you can blow the algae off, I would use the turkey baster to remove as much as you can a couple times a week.

Anyone else chime in, I'm guessing here.

I've never seen diatoms like this before but I dont know and yes i blow it off every once couple days. Im also hoping its just diatom. Thanks for the replay so far guys.

Back
Top Bottom