algae problem help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weemanpow3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 30g tank and 30 pounds of rock and green hair algae grows on it so fast with in 3 weeks it covers the rock and about 1/2 to 1 inches.
I have to keep picking it off.

I have corallife 130 watts of lighting, coralife protine skimmer, Power head and aqua clear filtter.

I have
2x blood shrimp
3x cromes fish
1x Clownfish
12x hermet crabs
5x mexican snals

Please Help

I do use RO/DI water

change water every week and a half 5 gallon

To get to the source of your problem you really need to get some test kits, or at least get an LFS to test your water for you. I've found that too little circulation can really add to the hair algae problem, what are you running in your tank for water movement?

I just tested my water with the saltwater maser kit today and my test results were perfect.

I use a aqua clear power head.

Ill show you pics of my tank in my photo gallery in a little bit, with the filtration and the massive algae wall.

You`ll need to change 10 gallons every 5 days and get some of the excess nutrients out of there

Watch when you pick it off, I believe this can help it spread. I think others use a toothbrush and siphon it while pulling it. You can also adjust your PH, possibly. Maybe even turn off your filter and PH when you suck it up with the siphon/toothbrush.

I did the tooth brush thing. And the rocks are fine.

How do I get ride of the algae wall. I think this is why algae keeps growing back. look at my pics to see it.

Scrape it off the tank walls with a razor.

Brushing/scraping the algae off is not going to fix the problem. The algae will keep coming back if you don't treat the root of the problem.

Can you post the exact test results that you tested? Maybe your definition of "perfect parameters" is abit off.

Tests = PH 2.8 / salt level 1.023 / ammonia 0 ppm (mg/L) / Nitrate 0 ppm (mg/L) / Nitrite 0 ppm (mg/L). These are the test results I got from the SALTWATER MASTER Liquid Test Kit.

I cant figure it out. I feed the fish where my protine skimmer is. And the skimmer is right behind the rocks

Your parameters are really "perfect" as you describe :D BUT you don't have a PO4 test? PO4 is the upmost important parameter when dealing with algae

Need to know your phosphate test. Your Ph is way too low unless you meant 8.2 and not 2.8? Also I don't think you have enough rock for your biological filter to keep up. A skimmer works fine but you don't have enough nutrient export going on. How much and how often do you feed? One powerhead and a skimmer return is not enough flow for your tank. I would add another Powerhead and aim it at the back of the tank. My two cents.

sorry I meant 8.2 PH an the power head is made for a 50 gallon and it on max speed. The filter is for a 20-40 gallon tank. I feed 1 a day at night at 8:00 pm and I put some calcium in the tank. After that I shut the lights off for the night.

I feed 1 a day at night

Try feeding every other day. How long do you run your lights?

You`ll need to change 10 gallons every 5 days and get some of the excess nutrients out of there

melosu58, sound advice, there.

I just took all the algae off the algae wall and I am puting 5 gallons of RO/DI water in their now. I run my lights from 9am to 8 pm.

will feeding my fish and inverts every other day kill them.

Back
Top Bottom