Algae problem....pls help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1 ml per 10 gallons. And don't blast them. Just spread them more I feel. Suck them out . Run the water thru a towel filtering the water. Then put water back in.. I would try kalk. Carbon and light dosing of h202. Along with turning skimmer off. I beat them in 2 weeks with this method. Dynos will start to thin out.

In my case they're already everywhere ^.^

Suck them out thru a towel in a bucket. Then put water back in tank. Add extra kalk to raise ph to 8.4 8.5 then slow drip to maintain. I fought them for ever until I found this method.

Try mrs wages pickling lime if you can find it. Exact same thing. I've been dosing that everyday for 8 months with great results

I'm going to Walmart right now! I have to get groceries anyway. :)

Question...how do you keep a constant drip of the solution going??

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the lfs and picked up a small valve for the airline tubing. Place container in top of the tank. And run it to sump. Turn the valve enough to drip it.

Must let mixture settle for ten minutes to get all the particles to settle to the bottom. Don't want to drip that into the tank . I'm not sure how actual kalk works from the lfs

Perfect. Thx.

I'm at Walmart now so ill get the mixture here and I guess ill need to stop at the pet store for the air tube valve tho.

Couldn't I just do knots in line?

I just made limewater with the kalk I just bought. How much do I dose for 20g ?

My actual PH is 7.9, I want to reach 8.5...

Good question.

I just sucked as much of it out as I cud and now I'm about to make the water myself except I got the mrs wages stuff. He already said 2 tablespoons for a gallon of water but he didnt say how much of the gallon of lime wAter goes in. Help is appreciated. :)

I have a 75g with a 30g sump. Maybe 80 gallons with displacement....how much ya think?

Good question.

I just sucked as much of it out as I cud and now I'm about to make the water myself except I got the mrs wages stuff. He already said 2 tablespoons for a gallon of water but he didnt say how much of the gallon of lime wAter goes in. Help is appreciated. :)

I have a 75g with a 30g sump. Maybe 80 gallons with displacement....how much ya think?

On my product (Seachem kalk) they say 6 grams for 4L RODI water. So I did 1.5 grams for 1 liter, the crap have precipitated on bottom, but now I don't know HOW to dose it, and HOW MUCH.

I don't have dosing pump.... Can I add all the liter of limewater to the reef ?

Waiting for anwsers before doing anything, I don't want to mess with my nano reef for stupids algae.

Well I know jj saidyou dont want that stuff that settles on the bottom in your tank so.....that being said I would do what he said as far as getting it I'm the tank. Gallon of water up top, tube running down to your sump with air tube. Siphon out at 1 drip per second or even 1 drop for 2 secs. I'm gonna go easy! Like 1/4 of the gallon and test and do the math from where it was to where it's at and then figure how much more I need to get to the sweet spot. If rather go low than high

I'm trying a drip system with airtubing with a kno on it...

How much I should dose for a 20g system to reach PH 8.5 from 7.9 ?

I'd say that's a good drip rate.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how much. I'm gonna have to keep an eye on it and go little at a time. I would start and get 1/4 way thru liter and test. Go from there.

Now 1/4 of a liter as been distribued to the reef, and the PH test the same, according to my GF (I don't see thoses colors good ans want second advice)... 7.9...

I think I'll dose the whole 1 liter bottle overnight. that's good idea ? I,m drunk

Kalk will raise alkalinity and calcium but not the pH. Use baking soda to raise alk and pH. Start with mixture of 1 tsp/gal of ro/di on ato. Be catious that sudden fluctuation of pH can hurt your live stock. Create more water surface agitation will also help.

I added all the liter last night, Ph raised from 7.9 to 8.4. I don't know how much the alk and calcium raised, I'll test this tonight (Mg and PH too).

Normally even without dosing the pH will be 0.2 points higher during the day than nigh time. If your pH is 8.0 at night, it will be 8.2 after 2 hours your lights are on.

No, I mean I tested PH, it was 7.9 on the mid day light cycle, then I dose 1 liter of limewater, and 1-2 hours after, then PH was 8.4...

When I test ph in the "morning" of the light cycle, I get 7.8-7.9, when I test right before the lights will close, it usually give me 7.9...

The objective here is to artificially boost the PH for killing dinos...

I went thru the gallon on my 75g tank and the ph barely moved up to 7.9.....I'm hesitant to go more so soon. Maybe do another gallon tomorrow ya think?

Does anybody know how much kalk to dose ? I'm drunk yet, and still don't know how much kalk to dose.

I'm dosing another 1L of limewater today, I did test, everything is in range... But PH is higher than my normal averages values (8.3)

How much Kalk to dose for a 20g, with dinoflagellates, to get PH 8.5, when the normal ph is 7.9 all the time?

Last params from redsea (ph from API large range):
KH: 8.4 dKH
Ca: 450 ppm
Mg: 1280 ppm
PH: 8.3

How much limewater do I need to dose ? I can't find any reference for this !...

(I'm adding limewater with airtube with a knot in it, so I get 1 drop/2sec)

I still find those ****** dinos in my tank, I'm tired of them, stringy brown ****...

PLZ HELP ! I really enjoy the hobby, my corals, my 2 clowns, this forum, but can't get rid of thoses dinos :(

Back
Top Bottom